Hello from Belgium

Started by Wouter, December 21, 2021, 04:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wouter

Hi,

I'm Wouter from Belgium.
I am new to smoking and would like to start smoking salmon. I wonder which Bradley would be the best investment for me. Am I going for an original or a digital one? Or should I go for a DIY build? Cheaper, but what do I need for that?

A lot of questions...  ;)

Thanks!!

Wouter

manxman

Welcome to the forum Wouter.

I currently have several sides of salmon cold smoking in my Original Bradley Smoker. The salmon was cured with rock salt and molasses sugar, rinsed and allowed to sit for a while before a 4 hour oak smoke. It will be sliced and vacuum packed in time for Christmas Day.

The point is what type of salmon do you want to produce? I.e hot or cold smoked? What other things may you want to smoke and would that involve predominantly cold or hot smoking?

I am on my second original BS, do mostly cold smoking using the cold smoker attachment with a bit of hot smoking from time to time (I do have an Auber PID to improve temp control) and the original has proved perfect for my needs. However if I was doing mostly hot smoking I would think seriously about a digital version.

I have tried DIY food smoking which is fun but does lack the consistency of results, is more time and effort dependent and doesn't have the ease of use of a Bradley or indeed other purpose built smokers.

Hopefully this will help you start to fine tune your thoughts as to which will be best to suite your needs? ;)

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Hi Wouter;

Welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wouter

Quote from: manxman on December 21, 2021, 09:57:47 AM

The point is what type of salmon do you want to produce? I.e hot or cold smoked? What other things may you want to smoke and would that involve predominantly cold or hot smoking?

I mainly want to cold smoke salmon... maybe Eel

Edward176

Hey Wouter and welcome to the forum....

gizy-CA

Quote from: Wouter on December 23, 2021, 02:47:59 AM
Quote from: manxman on December 21, 2021, 09:57:47 AM

I mainly want to cold smoke salmon... maybe Eel
Can you share the way you prepper Eel and salmon for cold smoke? Thanks. 

MSK2193

Welcome Wouter,

Lekker Paling! 

I have the digital 6 rack with the cold smoke adapter.  Made some great (cold) smoked salmon last season and waiting for it to cool down enough to do more this winter.  Still summer-like here in Texas.  You will enjoy the delicate results from the Bradley. 

Never done eel, only buy it when I am home to the north of you!

Much success,

Michael

Stay safe,

Michael