Smoked Pheasant Jerky?

Started by BigBrownDog, February 05, 2022, 03:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrownDog

Just returned from a pheasant hunt with breasts & thighs from 40 birds.  Thought I would try and make some candied jerky like I do with sockeye salmon with some brine modifications.  Before experimenting I want to check if anyone has any tips or tricks?  I did a search but all the posts seemed to be about whole pheasants.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Habanero Smoker

I haven't made jerky in awhile, and that is generally beef - though I have tried making mushroom jerky (I still need a lot of practice on that  ;D ). Marinades for beef jerky may not work well with pheasant or other poultry.

Have you tried a google search. I came across a few. Most use dehydrators. If you have a dehydrator that would be best. Just apply smoke, then move to the dehydrator. But it can be completely done inside the Bradley. Personally I would avoid the marinades that contain and acid; such as vinegar or citrus juice.

Preheat your Bradley to about 140­°F. Once you decide on a marinade, place pheasant strip on the rack in single layer with a little space between each piece. When I make beef jerky I slice the meat 1/4-inch thick. Place racks in the smoker, and before applying smoke, air dry the jerky until tacky (about an hour or more). Once tacky apply smoke. For the first time I would limit to smoke time to 1 hour or less, for something like pheasant. After smoke has been applied, raise the temperature to about  160°F - 170°F. Depending on several factors, your drying time may be six hour or more. Periodically check your racks and rotated them. While checking the racks, pull off the pieces that are drying faster and are done. When done the jerky should be pliable, and when bent, you will see white muscle fibers appear. Some recipes recommend finishing at 185°F, but I have never done it that way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

I did some quite a few years ago but can't remember my brine but I did ice cherry pucks and liked it