Frustrated with PID

Started by Boise Jim, March 22, 2022, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boise Jim

I have spent WAY too much time researching this problem. Got a PID (Auber 2362) with an SSR and TC, and got it wired up, which was a pain to figure out in the first place. Everything is working and wired according to the instructions, but it is not holding the temperature. The smoker still runs at full power regardless. I've changed the settings countless numbers of times on the PID but with no luck. When I try to autotune, it just cranks up all the way and the smoker gets to about 275 and just stays there, even after about four hours.

What in the hell could I be doing wrong?

cathouse willy

I'll have a go at helping here. You say you had a hard time with the wiring? If you look carefully I'll bet you'll find a wiring error, a second pair of eyes could help, have someone else check it for you, often you can look right at the error and not see it. Make sure that the power to the ssr runs through the pids relay contact. It's also possible you have a faulty unit but recheck your wiring.
Hope this helps.
chw

Boise Jim

Thanks, CW. Yeah, that's how I have it. The + and - from the PID to the SSR, and the one like you said, plus the other wire from the SSR to the red wire at the plug for the heating element.

Boise Jim

Habanero Smoker

I hope that resolves your problem.

Thanks for making those documents available to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Boise Jim

Hey HS-
Nope, still not working. Is the OUT light on the PID supposed to stay lit continuously, or blink while it's activated? Mine blinks in synchronization with the SSR.

Habanero Smoker

I use a Stoker and the Thermoworks Signal.

I'm not that knowledgable with the Auber products. I believe that light should only blink after it reaches the desired temperature. Sometimes a visual tutor can be helpful. I came across the following video by Auber:

Auber SYL-2362 PID

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Click on the link below to the 6-minute video and verify that your wiring is the same as what they show.  I have an Auber SYL-2352 (close to your model) connected to an SSR in an older Bradley Original smoker and it works fine.

Auber SYL-2362 PID temperature controller

The instruction manual for the 2362 says that it comes pre-configured for use with a K-type TC.  If yours is something different it needs to be changed in the settings.  Also, it's possible that it was accidentally changed when you were changing some other parameter.  Double check that it is correct.

Also, I just checked mine and the OUT light only comes on and remains on while a signal is being sent to the SSR to supply power to the heating element.  Be sure everything is wired according to Figure 2 in the instruction manual.

PID Controller terminals:

#1 (incoming power + or -)
#2 (incoming power + or -)
#6 (SSR +)
#7 (SSR -)
#9 (TC +)
#10 (TC -)

SSR terminals:

#1 (outgoing 120V power to heating element)
#2 (incoming 120V power - not from the PID controller)
#3 (from terminal #6 of the PID controller)
#4 (from terminal #7 of the PID controller)

Boise Jim

Yeah, thanks, TedEbear. I've watched that video probably a dozen times, and that's exactly how I have mine wired. Suspecting a bad PID.

Boise Jim

HeyTEb- What wire did you connect to on the BS611 for the SSR outgoing power? I have everything wired (I believe) correctly, and Auber has been great about giving me ways to test the PID and the SSR, which show that both are OK.

TedEbear

I connected the outgoing 120V power wire from the SSR to the back of the plug inside the smoke generator. The other connector on the back of the plug is the neutral. There's also the ground but that one should be easy to identify.

My Bradley is an older style, not a BS611, but the wiring connecting to the plug in the SG that goes to the tower should be the same. I'll post a closeup pic later of the wiring inside my SG if you want it.

Boise Jim

I hate to keep bugging you about this, but a pic would be fantastic!

TedEbear

Quote from: Boise Jim on May 25, 2022, 03:01:51 PM
I hate to keep bugging you about this, but a pic would be fantastic!

OK, I was waiting for a reply that you wanted a pic.  If you give me a day or so I'll get a few detailed pics of inside the SG box. I'm dealing with long term healthcare issues for an elderly relative right now and it's a bit overwhelming.

Boise Jim

Oh, man, sorry to hear about that. Take your time.

TedEbear

OK, I finally had some time today to take the cover off my SG and take some pics.  Study the ones below and if you have any questions ask away. I added a number above each pic, so if you have a question about a specific one it'll make it easier to refer to it.

#1:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L4jXhdXU4Tz2uAxaA

#2:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vQLuJxaqYAZM9YL87

#3:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dfPD7yJQkfAug6Wh6

#4:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ek9cqoTnQx2ngfHj9