Excited to try this

Started by Kent, September 29, 2022, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

I registered on this forum in 2007 so that was when I bought my 6 rack digital.

I also got a PID, considered doing the dual heater mod (didn't), considered adding convection blowers (didn't), and had to replace the generator a few years ago.

Just ordered the P10, I'm hoping for the best.  The reviews on this forum are less than great.

I also use 2 charcoal smokers (a weber kettle, a small kamado), a big green egg, a Weber Smokefire, and a few others.  I hope this is a purchase that is worth it.

The ideas behind the smoker just make it worth the chance.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kent;

Welcome back to the forum.

I'm sure you will find that the P10 will complement the rest of your other barbecuing and grilling equipment. Just don't expect to be able to cold smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Welcome back to the forum Kent.

Given I use my Bradley predominantly to cold smoke I wouldn't consider a P10 but would be intrigued to hear any feedback you have negative or positive because the theory behind the P10 is excellent other than the inability to cold smoke.

Conversely it seems quite a few purchasers have had practical issues and it would be interesting to know whether the newest models have ironed out the problems, I always read posts relating to the P10 with interest.  ;)
Manxman

Kent

Habenero Smoker, and others:

I've read so many of your posts over the years, you were in in the early days and have always gave good advice.

I'll post my impressions after I try the P10.  My over decade old smoker is something I enjoy using and I always kept it under cover, when not used, and the seals are still great, unlike other products I've had.

The 6 rack digital had issues, having to for example rotate racks a lot.  Part of the purpose of the new Bradley seems to be to remove some of the work required for good smoked food.  Some of the work I enjoy on the pellet and charcoal options, needing very regualar checking/adjusting, just because its fun.  But sometimes, being lazy pays dividends the next day.

I'm really exicted to get the P10 and try it out.

Habanero Smoker

The heat distribution is decent, and more even than the other models. This is mainly due to two heating elements equally spaced apart. When I first started using mine, I was monitoring the temperature using four probes, and I was getting inconsistent temperature between the front and rear probes. I no longer have that problem. On long cooks, I may rotate at least once, due to radiant heat from the back and side walls; but it isn't necessary.

As always, it is a must to learn how your P10 cooks. At 250°F, mine is actually maintaining temperatures about 15 degrees higher.

Try using less smoke your first couple of cooks. I find the smoke flavor of the P10 tends to be stronger.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kent

I really like the taste this delivers, compared to my old 6 rack digital.  It seems to eliminate the acrid taste you could sometimes develop with the older models.

Build quality is great.  Temperature holds well.  Its a high quality item, with great seals.
Much more even temperature compared to the 6 rack digital.  That means less rack rotating.

Have made ribs twice (pork once, beef once), and salmon.  Going to try jerky next.

My biggest complaint is the control panel is kind of finnicky.  That round dial needs a redesign to be effective.

The child lock is a pain but I've gotten used to that, but even then, the dial just isn't easy to use.

Habanero Smoker

Great to hear you are having a great experience with the P10. When you get around to making jerky let us know how that works.

I do prefer the dial over a keypad input. As you have mentioned the keys on the control panel tend to be finnicky, and the dial takes a lot of that out of having to key in temps, cook times and smoke times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.