How cold is too cold?

Started by headgames, December 09, 2006, 08:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headgames

Trying my first attempt at cold smoking some brats  I put up last night . 20 degrees F out side have them in my rebuilt freezer with the bradley smoke generator .  my love temp control only goes down to 100 degrees F .  I am thinking .... OK I am now bringing the box temp to 100... planning on shutting off the temp control and just counting on the burning bisquets and plate to heat ..........  I am assuming I can maintain about 40-50 degrees .  is this too cold ??
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

owrstrich

longtime no post there head... welcome back...

i have not a clue... but i can say on an 80 degree day in the shade i could obtain and maintain 150 deg box full of brisket with just the smoke gen on... that is how i discovered a bad heat bulb... i would think that on a 20 deg day you would overshoot 100 deg with just smoke gen... but its just a guess from an owrstrich...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

manxman

QuoteI am assuming I can maintain about 40-50 degrees .  is this too cold ??

"Optimum temperature for cold smoking is 70-80F/21-26C, if food is smoked at a temperature of 50 - 60F/ 10 - 15C it will take longer due to higher relative humidity but will not taste any different".

Quote from book: Home Smoking and Curing (Keith Erlandson), similar quote in Cold Smoking and Salt Curing Meat, Fish and Game. (A.Livingston) in which they suggest not attempting to cold smoke below 40F/5C.

I have cold smoked at around 50F/10C without any discernable increase in times, can't comment personnally any lower than this but maybe this is some help?
Manxman

headgames

Thanks guys .  as it  worked out the temp yesterday got up to 45  and my large smoker maintained a 85 f temp for the 6 hours.....  they turned out excellent . thanks for the info and the help.  ;D

manxman

Manxman

West Coast Kansan

Would be fun to see your freezer conversion is you have a way to share a photo.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

headgames

Sure as soon as I get home from Canada after :o Christmas . Not on much but I will muster up a photo .....  ::)

West Coast Kansan

I appreciate it, thinking about the same type of thing.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

lisahall

Cold smoking typically requires temperatures between 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal results. Attempting to cold smoke brats in a 20 degrees Fahrenheit environment may not be ideal, as it falls significantly below the recommended range. While your improvised setup might help raise the temperature to 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit, it's still lower than the desired conditions for cold smoking. The cold environment may affect the smoking process and the quality of the final product.

TedEbear

Wow, talk about a thread revival - over 17 years! 

Welcome aboard. 

dubob

Newbies - ya gatta love 'em.  Welcome aboard lisahall.  🥰
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss