Pork Sirloin Tip Roast

Started by Habanero Smoker, March 31, 2023, 02:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

For the past 8 – 10 years I've been mainly cooking with charcoal, gas, and occasionally pellets. Charcoal will probably remain my primary cooking method. I am trying to find various ways to use my Bradley more often. The below recipe uses the sirloin tip that I carved out when I deboned the ham I'm currently curing/smoking.

I don't like taking pictures, but did try. ;) I forgot to take the "money" shot; that is the shot with the meat sliced opened. I did slice the roast in half and froze the other half. When I take it out of the freezer, I'll try to remember to take a photo of it and post it.

This is a very simple recipe, that is quick and easy to prepare, smoke and cook. This recipe will work with any pork roast cut from any part of the loin.

Pork Sirloin Tip Roast
Ingredients:
2 – 3 pound Boneless Sirloin Tip Roast
2.8 grams Kosher Salt per pound (or 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Kosher, or 3/4 teaspoon Morton's Kosher per pound)

2 Tbs. Canola Oil (or any neutral flavored oil)
1 Tbs. Dry Italian Herb Mix (Herbs de Province could also work)
2 Cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp. of granulated garlic)
1/2 tsp. Black ground pepper
1/2 tsp. Rubbed sage
1 tsp. Smoked paprika (optional)
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions:
At least 4 hours prior to smoking the roast, measure out the appropriate amount of salt needed. For example; a 2 pound roast would need 5.6 grams of salt. Depending on your preference towards saltiness; this can be rounded down to 5 grams, or up to 6 grams. Using all the measured salt, evenly salt the roast on all sides, and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, overnight is better.

Pork Sirloin Roast

Tied and ready to be salted.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients together, and set this mixture aside at least an hour. This will give the oil time to hydrate the herbs (if you are not going to use this within a couple of hours, it should be refrigerated after the herbs have hydrated). This can be done a day ahead of time - after the herbs have hydrated, refrigerated until needed. If refrigerated, depending on what type of oil you used, the mixture may have to set at room temperature for awhile until the oil returns to its liquid form.

When ready to smoke/cook; preheat the Bradley to 225°F, Take the roast out of the refrigerator, and apply the herb rub on all sides of the roast. There seems to be discussions on the food forums as to whether you need to allow the meat to sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, prior to placing the meat in the smoker or oven. Since this roast is salted, you can place it in the smoker as soon as the herb rub is applied. Or you can wait, it is really your call, but if you are not using the P10, letting the meat set at room temperature for a couple of hours helps the Bradley temperature recovery.

Herb Rub Applied

Place roast in the Bradley, and apply 1:20 to 2:00 hours of smoke. I'm using my P10, which I feel produces a stronger smoke flavor than the other Bradley models, so I applied 1:20 hours of smoke. If you are using the Original or Digital models you may want to go the full 2 hours. I used pecan; which is the usual flavor I use for pork.

Smoke/cook the roast until it reaches 142°F, at the thickest part. Remove from the smoker, cover loosely with foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. During this time, the carryover cooking will bring the roast up to the desired 145°F internal temperature. My roast was close to 3 pounds. The total cook time was 2 hours 45 minutes, and I brought the internal temperature to 140°F. As a rough guideline figure on 2.5 to 3 hours total time in the smoker for a 2 pound roast.

Finished

Slice the pork roast against the grain into 1/2 inch thick slices. Serve with your favorite side dish; such as rice, mashed potatoes etc.

NOTES:
I highly recommend salting the meat. It really adds additional flavor and maintains moisture. You can skip this step and apply your favorite rub that contains salt.
I'm from the Northeast, so I lean to flavoring meats with herbs, but you can experiment with different spices, and rubs; but if you salt the meat keep in mind that you should use salt free rubs.
It's best to use kosher salt. The larger crystals make it easier to distribute the salt evenly over the meat.
Avoid going over 145°F IT. Past that point pork will be dry.
If you are short on time you can use a cooking temperature of 250°F, to reduce the cooking time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

WOW Hab, it really looks good!!! I'm thinking I'll be trying one soon too...
Your butcher string tying job puts mine to shame :)

Habanero Smoker

Tying those knots was a pain in my backside.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mybad

That looks very good, and I bet it was....

Habanero Smoker

It was good. The smoke flavor was excellent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.