No Heat Issue

Started by dAWGS, August 04, 2022, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dAWGS

So i had a small grease fire in my smoke.  Im using a PID and I have the 2nd element mod.  So I replaced my magnetic seal and a couple burnt wires.  I put it back together and my elements are not heating up at all. 

What should I look for ?   What should I replace?

Habanero Smoker

Have you tried running it without the PID hooked up? If not try that first. If the elements heat up you may have damaged the temperature probes on the PID.

If it still doesn't heat up, you may have blown your in-line fuse and/or your temperature sensor. To test your in-line fuse, take the back panel off the cabinet; using a multimeter, set it to test continuity, place a probe on each side of the fuse where it is uninsulated to see if you get a reading 0 or very near to 0 you have continuity (a closed circuit). So that means your fuse is good. If you get an OL, that means the fuse is bad, and needs to be replaced. For the temperature sensor, you can test the same way. That sensor is located inside the cabinet. You can see it and it is about the size of a quarter. While you are at it you may want to test the Ohms of the heating element. You should get a reading of 28 - 32 Ohms. If not you will need to replace the heating elements.

Since you replaced your wiring, make sure that you didn't accidently loosen a wire from the plug socket. So when you have the back off, check the wiring that attaches to the power socket.

If you have the old original, make sure there is not fire damage to the heat controller and its components.

That about all I can think of right now. Let us know how you make out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)