Chicken Thighs

Started by mybad, October 01, 2022, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

Crazy how time fly's. Haven't used my Bradley, in a few years. Just sitting in the garage.

Got it out, cleaned up a bit, hooked the Auber controller up, and it all still works...lol

My Bradley is a little over 15 years old, the controller, must be 10-12 years old. I feel pretty lucky, no issues with my Bradley, it is showing some age, so we will see.

Gonna do some simple SPG skin on, chicken thighs, finish on the grill.

I'll let ya'll know if it works out. :)

MB

Habanero Smoker

Looking forward to hearing your results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mybad

I would say they came good, not great. I believe I over cooked them.

I have been using the A Maze N snake shaped smoker tray, for pellets, instead of the Bradley bisquettes, for a few years, before I stopped using the Bradley.

The smoke flavor was very good. My Auber controller, food temp probe doesn't work all the time, or not accurate. Smoker ran about 215ish, between door openings.

Being in AZ, I don't have any issue, getting the smoker up to temp...lol

I need to do a few cooks, to remember, all the little quirks of the smoker.

Going to do beef short ribs next, any tips are happily received!

MB

Habanero Smoker

It's been a while since I smoke beef ribs in a Bradley, so I can't recall the length of time for the total cook.

Depending on what type of beef rib you get, there may be a fat cap. If there is remove it. There is a membrane on the bone side. It is tough, but even tougher to remove. If you can remove it that is best. I generally just leave it on, it also ensures that the bone will stick to the meat during the entire smoke.  Use your favorite seasoning. First I slather them with Dijon mustard, then I generally use just salt, pepper, and garlic powder (SPG). Preheat the smoker to 250°, if you can get that temperature. When the ribs begin to sweat (about 20 minutes after applying rub), place them into the smoker.

For beef ribs you want to apply 2 - 3 hours of smoke. If you are not going to wrap the ribs, after 3 hours you will need to spritz every hour or so, until they are done. For beef ribs I generally will just spritz with water or a low sodium beef broth, because I don't like either a sweet or vinegar taste for my beef ribs. But I've seen recipes where people are spritzing with a vinegar based spritz, or using juice or soda. If you are going to wrap you don't have to spritz. Make sure the bark is set before you wrap. You will know when the bark is set when you can rub the ribs and the bark does not rub off. This is generally the 3 hour mark. Add about 1/4 cup of liquid, prior to sealing. After about 2 hours, check the internal temperature. When they are around 200°F, unwarp and cook naked until they reach around 203 - 210 degrees (your probe should be able to slide in and out of the ribs easily). Once at the desired temperature wrap the ribs, and place them in a dry cooler for at least one hour (back in the day we called this FTC). Do this step whether or not you smoke/cooked the ribs naked or wrapped.

Instead of using a cooler I have used my microwave cabinet for small amounts. I first place a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup that is filled with 1 cup of water. Heat high for 4 minutes. After the water has heated for 4 minutes, carefully place the hot measuring cup in the back corner of the cabinet, and place your ribs in the microwave (do not turn on the microwave after you have placed your ribs in it). This works well. I have done this with butts that have weighed up to 10 lbs.  If you need to hold the food longer than 2 hours, then you should use a cooler.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mybad

Thanks very much for the tips. I will let you know, how it goes.

I have forgotten, all of the great info on this site. So many long forgotten names, with so many great ideas, and help.

MB

manxman

QuoteI have forgotten, all of the great info on this site. So many long forgotten names, with so many great ideas, and help.

How very true, hanker for the good old days of this forum from time to time.  :)
Manxman

mybad

So the short ribs, turned out fantastic. Smokey, salty, melt in your mouth......

I seasoned them (SPG) the night before cooking.

I did three hours of hickory pellets (what I had on hand ) using the A-MAZE-N pellet tray for smoke. Bradley ran around 230 degrees.

Removed ribs, and in to a dutch oven, into the oven, at 240 for another 5 hours, let them rest for a good bit.

Super good! Super easy.

MB

Habanero Smoker

Those ribs sound really good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.