GFI tripping when heat goes on

Started by smokin_jer, February 13, 2023, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin_jer

It's winter here in Wisconsin and my P10 has been tripping a GFI fuse every time the heater goes on. Doesn't happen with cold smoke.
Any ideas on what might be the issue and/or how to troubleshoot/fix?

Jerry

Habanero Smoker

GFCI can be very tricky to trouble shoot. I haven't had this problem with my P10, but I have had this problem with my other Bradleys'.  The below link gives you some ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem.

What Causes Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter To Trip?

Most of the times when I have a problem it is due to moisture. If it happens only when the elements go on, and not immediately after you turn the power on, I would concentrate on whether moisture or debris has built up around the element wiring, or possibly the circuit is overloaded. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokin_jer

Here's what Ive tried and the results. Still have problem. 

The temps have been in the 40 F range for the last few days. Wiped everything down with paper towels. Didn't seem to be any moisture.
Cleaned shelf and smoker "grate" in dishwasher. Dried them very well.
Cant see any moisture around heating elements.
Placed plug in different outside outlet (still connected to same circuit)
Turned on. Temp went to 222F after a little over 2 minutes. Tripped the GFI

Took a hair dryer to the inside and the bisquette compartment.
Noticed the usb cover had come off.  Blew that dry (didn't seem wet) and covered with duct tape.
Turned on
Temp was at 220F went up another 75-100 degrees and after about the same exact time (2 minutes+) the GFI tripped.

I sure don't want to trash a P10 after using it for a year. I'm not super mechanical but have taken the unit apart to change out a part for the bisquette heater about 8 months ago. That went well.

What to do? Please help, I sure miss it.

manfromplaid

try plugging in to different socket. determine that there are no heavy draw  items on circuit.

Habanero Smoker

GFCI problems can be tricky to track down and it may take several trials and errors, until the problem is resolved.

If it ran for awhile with the elements on, it may be a circuit overload. Did you check to see if there are any other appliances on that circuit that may be causing an overload.

When you plug it into another socket make sure it is not on the same circuit this GFCI is connected to. Try plugging the P10 into a circuit that has an outlet that is controlled by a different GFCI. If it works on a circuit that is controlled by a different GFCI, then the other GFCI needs to be replaced. These sockets can go bad.

A power strip, especially ones with a surge protector can sometimes be the cause. If you are using a power strip, don't use it, and plug the P10 directly with an extension cord.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokin_jer

SOLUTION:
Plugged into a different GFI circuit via extension cord to kitchen and Voila! it works.

So now I know its the GFI outside - most likely the GFI itself, but I'm not an electrician. I'm getting one to take care of it.

THANKS SO MUCH !

Now I can try Baby Backs and St Louis for the first time on the smoker.... Cant wait!

Jerry

Habanero Smoker

Glad you are up and running again.

Ribs sound good. The Sam's Club near me is selling spare ribs for $2.48/lb., and then they are knocking off another $2.00 per package. That's a good price in my area; at this time.  I'm going to pickup at least one cryovac package, this Wednesday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokin_jer

I'm trying butcherbox. They are a bit pricey but I don't have to go out and their stuff is pretty good. Anxious to taste their ribs....

Electrician coming tomorrow but winter ice storm for two days after that . So it will be a bit

Habanero Smoker

While the electrician is there, ask him/her if there could be an overload on that GFCI.

If Butcher Box has Duroc breed pork, you are in for a treat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokin_jer

Ok. He's coming next week. It has been working for about a year and just started acting up. I would think an overload would have been there since day 1. But I'm not an electrician:)

Habanero Smoker

I'm not an electrician either.  ;D That's why this type of problem is always a trial and error for me.

Let us know how your ribs turn out. Depending on how they are trimmed and how many bones are in the rack, you should get at least one, and possibly two full racks per shelf. If they are too long, you may have to lay the rack diagonally. If you post about the ribs, a separate post for the ribs would be better than adding it to this post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokin_jer

Nope - still trips the GPI no matter which GPI.
Electrician replaced wiring to no avail
There is something going on with the P10

Guess we'll just make it a regular outlet.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear this. It seems the problem worsened.

It may be something minor, but always keep in mind that the purpose of the GFCI is to prevent you from becoming a part of the circuit (electricity flowing from the device into your body). It is best to continue to figure out what is the cause of the problem, and resolve it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.