Sous Vide Smoked Ribs

Started by Scotty-G, August 20, 2020, 09:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 10, 2020, 01:19:10 PM
Quote from: waynerto on October 10, 2020, 07:22:19 AM
The way to do a cooler would be to permanently modify it by cutting a hole in the lid that is the ideal size for your immersion cooker.  Like this:

Thanks for the picture. I knew what you meant; I've seen similar plans.

I got the ribs in the water bath, I'm planning to cook at 152°F for 24 hours. What I thought was a 12 quart container, turned out to be a 19 quart container. It's a tight fit, but I managed to get two whole slabs in the container, and getting good circulation. I'm using Scotty-G's results, and the below article as a guide.

The Food Lab Complete Guide Sous Vide Pork Ribs

I know this was nearly 3 years ago but how did the ribs turn out?  I did some 1.5" thick ribeyes for the 4th of July the other day. Three hours sous vide at 140F and a few minutes searing them on the grill.  They turned out pretty good. I'm thinking about trying the method in that link you posted for some ribs soon.

Habanero Smoker

I should have mentioned in this thread that I posted the results in another thread.

Another Sous Vide Smoke Rib

I may study my results again, and give it another try. I recall the texture of the ribs, but can't recall if they were moister than doing it fully in a smoker. The texture was a little overcooked, but most would like the way that they came out. Sadly, for some reason I didn't get around to using the juices to make ramen. So that is another reason to do this again. :)

It's funny that you bring up sous vide, at this time. I just purchase a kitchen duel fuel range, and one of the features is that you can Air Sous Vide; which means you can vacuum seal food and sous vide in the oven. I have to learn more on this and give this a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

I did a sous vide with two racks of ribs a few weeks ago.  They were okay but there is room for improvement.  I did them at 154°F for 24 hours and then seared them in the oven.  The three coatings of sauce (Blue's Hog) gave them too much of a crusty layer that I will probably just do one coating next time.

Yesterday, I did a sous vide of two 1.5" pork steaks, a common meat here in the St. Louis area.  Plenty of Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper rub before sealing, 24 hours at 160°F, one hour rest in the sealed bags on the counter and then sear several minutes each side on a foil lined cookie sheet in the oven broiler on high and brushed with a light coating of Blue's Hog sauce (Original on one, Raspberry Chipotle on the other) at the end. 

They were the best pork steaks I've ever had anywhere.  Juicy, tender and no knife needed to cut those things.  I can provide more specific details if anyone wants the exact procedure.

I forgot to take any pics, as I was focusing on making sure I got everything right.  However, based on my wife's raving about them, I will probably be making these again soon and I will take pics next time.

Habanero Smoker

Sound like they were all good cooks.

I haven't done as much cooking this year as I have unusually done in the past. If you like Blue Hogs sauces, when I'm smoking ribs etc. I use the Original. If I cook in a method where I don't or can not apply smoke, such as sous vide, try using their Tennessee Red. It is flavorful, and it has just the right amount of smoke added. Also, I occasionally will use that sauce, and apple cider (2 parts to 1 part), to flavor my pulled pork when I want something different than the vaunted vinegar. Though the Raspberry Chipotle is also a good choice.

Which part of the pig are the steaks cut from?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manfromplaid

pork steaks sound very good   I would be interested in the full process. so far I have only used sous vide for beef but have been wanting to try pork  you can send a pm but I think this recipe would be better shared on the forum

dubob

As I stated before on this thread, you don't need to sous vide at 160/165 as long as the cook is at least 90 minutes long.  I do 145 on chicken breasts for about 2 hours and it is the juiciest, tenderest chicken I have ever cooked.  For pork steak, I do 145 for 24 hours and then pan sear for 1 minute a side in a MED HOT pan with butter.  Fall of the bone tender and best I have ever eaten - with or without sauce.  I have yet tried any sous vide/smoked cooks.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 17, 2023, 01:58:06 PM
Sound like they were all good cooks.

I haven't done as much cooking this year as I have unusually done in the past. If you like Blue Hogs sauces, when I'm smoking ribs etc. I use the Original. If I cook in a method where I don't or can not apply smoke, such as sous vide, try using their Tennessee Red. It is flavorful, and it has just the right amount of smoke added. Also, I occasionally will use that sauce, and apple cider (2 parts to 1 part), to flavor my pulled pork when I want something different than the vaunted vinegar. Though the Raspberry Chipotle is also a good choice.

Which part of the pig are the steaks cut from?

They are cut from the shoulder of the pig.    The next time I sous vide these I will take pics and maybe start a new thread with specific details of every step and ingredient I used.

Habanero Smoker

That's what I thought, but needed to make sure. On more than a few occasions I've seen cuts from the pork loin labeled such as Pork Ribeye Steaks, Pork Porter House Steak etc.

Looking forward to your next post.

Thanks

I
         don't
                   inhale.