• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Mac n Cheese

Started by At, July 03, 2024, 03:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At

Made twice in OBS. The best mac n cheese recipe I've used. We used old or extra old cheddar. Try to grate your own and not use the pre-grated cheese due to anti-clumping additives. Its rich but great as a side. Left overs are amazing, hold or cold. It wont disappoint. I used seasoned salt in place of all purpose seasoning and Frank's Red Hot sauce. I did mine at around 250° for two hours with one hour of smoke. As long as the dish starts bubbling it's good to go.  Made for 10 people over the last two times and everyone raved about it and wanted the recipe. It's from Malcolm Reed at howtobbqright.

Smoked Mac & Cheese Recipe – 2 Tablespoons Butter – 2 Tablespoons Flour – 2 Cups Heavy Cream – 1LB. Extra Sharp Cheddar (shredded) – ½LB. Monterey Jack (shredded) – 1-2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce – 2 teaspoons All Purpose Seasoning – 1 Cup Mayo – 1 Cup Sour Cream – 12oz Elbow Macaroni Noodles – 1/2 Cup Panko – 12oz Thin Sliced Bacon Get your smoker up to 350 degrees and allow to stabilize for 15 – 20 minutes.  Prepare pasta (al dente) according to package directions and set aside. Grate both cheeses and set aside.
aside.Cook bacon until crispy (we suggest placing bacon on a baking sheet and placing in a 400 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes. You want the bacon to be crispy and not limp). Immediately remove bacon from baking sheet and allow to drain on a paper towel. Finely chop bacon with food processor and set aside. In saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of flour over medium heat. Cook until the roux starts smelling a little nutty. At that point, add 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and stir until sauce thickens. Add an additional 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir for 1-2 minutes and then add final 1 cup of heavy cream and stir until sauce is smooth and thick. Add grated cheese to sauce slowly stirring until the cheese is blended and sauce is smooth and creamy. Add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce (depending on the heat level you desire) and the All Purpose seasoning.
Mix together pasta, sauce, mayo and sour cream and pour into a smoker-safe dish. If possible, use a 13-inch cast iron skillet – and make sure it has been oil, seasoned or sprayed with a good non-stick spray. Be sure not to over-fill.
If a darker crust is desired for mac & cheese, place skillet in oven, under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat, until gold and bubbly. Serve immediately. Can be done in the oven as well but added smoke flavour is a must.

Habanero Smoker

This looks good. I've got to give this a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Zurita

This recipe sounds fantastic, especially with the use of extra sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack for a creamy, flavorful base. Ahhhhhh I'm hungryyyyyy.

At

The panko and bacon topping only add to the flavour of the cheese.....curious to hear from anyone who tries it.