• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker running colder than it shows

Started by trannyguy, August 28, 2024, 08:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trannyguy

My 6 rack digital smoker is running colder than it shows. When it shows 230 it is only actually running at 180. I verified this with a good quality over thermometer. When it shows 300 it is only running at 230. Just wondering your thoughts on what might be the problem? I'm thinking the temp sensor is possibly faulty.

Habanero Smoker

Hi trannyguy,

Welcome to the forum.

Those are very large Inconsistencies, between the two temperature sensors. You can expect some variation, such as plus or minus 20 degrees, but it shouldn't be this large.

When you recorded these results, was your smoker empty, or were you smoking food, at the time? All cooking devices have hot spots, though not as large as you have recorded. Where was your third-party probe located, in relation to the Bradley temperature sensor? Then next time you record your results place the third-party probe close to the Bradley sensor.

If you were smoking meats, and your third-party probe was too close to the meat, that could cause a much lower reading. This could be 30 to 75 degrees lower than the actual cabinet temperature. When meat is cooking, a lot of moisture is evaporated, which lowers the surrounding temperature. Also, the meat acts as a heat sink, so that lowers the temperature close to the meat.

Make sure that your Bradley sensor is clean. I use a green Scotch-Brite pad to clean it off. But with the temperature discrepancies you are experiencing, it won't resolve that issue, but could help.

If, theses suggestions do not help, you may have a bad sensor. Contact Bradley Customer Service.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)