Gonna try some ribs

Started by pfowl01, July 13, 2006, 06:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello All,

I was going to try some ribs this weekend and I thought I would get the advice from the experts first. Here is my thoughts.....Going to try three racks ( 1 baby back, 2 st. Louis) and three different recipes.
1.Baby backs= just salt and pepper, sauce and foil at 4 hr mark and back in bradley for 2 hrs.
2.1st. St. Louis= dizzy pig rub and ftc at 4 hr mark for 2hrs
3.2nd. St. Louis= Apple city baby back rib recipe from Smoke & Spice, and sauce ftc at 4 hr mark for 2hrs
Smoke all of these for 3hrs @ 210( 1 hr hickory and 2 hrs apple )
My question is....should I continue to cook the St. Louis ribs until the bone turns easily or just pull them at the 4hr mark and ftc then. I'm trying to get everything done at the same time, but am a little concerned about the St. Louis ribs being done at the same time. The baby backs will have 6 hrs of total cooking time and the St. Louis only four and two hrs of ftc.
    Has anyone every sauced there ribs and then ftc instead of sauceing,foiling and cooking?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you

asa

I usually splash on a little thin vinegary sauce before wrapping them to hold for several hours before serving. Seems to do something for the tenderness, juciness, and flavor.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

BigSmoker

WOW thats a lot of different cooking times for my simple mind.  The ribs can definitely hold the 3 hours of smoke.  Sounds like you have it about right.  Hopefully you don't have a timelimit on them cause they may take a tad more at those low temps but they might not :o.  Take notes on what you do for sure ;).
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

iceman

Sounds about right, mabe a little shy on the St. Louis ribs. I usually sauce and juice the ribs a little before I wrap them up for the FTC. Do the bone test before FTC and you should be good to go.
Hmmm, I seem to have missplaced the dinner invitation you sent me, what was the address again???
:D :D :D ;) ;D

pfowl01

thanks for the replys everyone and I'll let you know how they turn out :)

pfowl01

Hello all,

I got the ribs done ,but with mixed results.All of the ribs where good , but I gott say I liked the ribs finished on the grill the best....good and saucey :) As for the rest....I didn't have enough time to cook the ribs until the bones turned easily, so I just did the best I could and they where all pretty good. I didn't really care for the apple city ribs that much, not really my taste. The dry rub from dizzy pig was really good though. Next time I think I'm gonna do the dizzy pig dry rub and then finish them on the grill with some sweet baby rays.

icerat4

Low and slow is the motto here.7 pounds of baby back ribs at 195 205 7 hrs of cook time 4 hours smoke .With a spray of apple juice between hours with a mop of sweet baby rays the last hour.BEAUTIFUL.Do the twist test if more time is needed. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

IKnowWood

I have tried a few different version of Ribs on Baby Backs.  Apply City was just wrong.  Really not good.  We did before some Burbon Ribs that were Ok, just to covered with stuff. 

We have done some simple rub then souce last 30 or 45 minutes.  and other with spritz of Apple Juice.

Our best is:

night before, remove membrane and rub with rub (my preference is Goose Bay, if you got it) in the AM, take out ribs and add a little more rub, not to much.

Then in it goes for 1.5 hours.  then spritz with some light apple juice each hour.  No sauce at all till it hits the plate, and then only if you like it. 

Last time we sauced it last 45 and we liked it better to do on our own, the Rub is nice and brings out the Rib flavor much better.  The double application approach does a muchh better job of helping the juices and create its own nice layer on the ribs.

As far as cooking, I shoot for a minimum of 6 hours cooking time.  4 hours smoke min.  Especillay sine I spritz them.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

owrstrich

i dig the dizzy pig swamp venom on the butt and the ribb... good stuff...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...