Cold weather smoking

Started by coyote, September 10, 2006, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote

Hi Smokesters,
                   Last winter when making venison summer sausage(it was really cold )
I had a hard time getting my BS warmed up. Is there a thermal cover available
for the original BS ? If not, would it damage the unit to make one ? I didn't smoke
with it durring that time...........my pucks got lost in the mail. I just used it as an
oven.                                                   Thanks,
                                                                  Coyote

Smudge

I've never encountered a thermal cover. The box is pretty well insulated. Did you have it sheltered from the wind?

coyote

Hi Smudge,
            I would say you're right on track.I had it in a garage just inside the big door (open). Sometimes it took longer than others to heat up. One day I went to the woods for a few hours and when I returned it was way too hot and water was running out....I never once took into consideration the wind.I guess you can
learn something new everyday!
                                                           Thanks,
                                                               Coyote

Smudge

Yeah, the wind will really cause grief. I always listen to the weather forecast in the morning of a smoke to decide which side of the house will offer the best protection from the wind.

Oldman

Quoteand water was running out
This is dangerous. That water can and will at least short out your rheostat. Make sure your vent is open enough so no smoke is back drafting through the generator. If you are doing chickens I suggest opening your vent even more to help remove the moisture build up.

Further Note: If smoke is allowed to back draft then be prepared to purchase a new generator one day. After each smokin' remove the generator and turn it upside down and gently tap it to knock out any loose saw dust. Make sure to wipe down your door seal as well or one day it will stick and will ripe off the door.

As far as other cleans go I only clean the vent, the racks I used, the V pan and water bowl.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Follow Olds advice. One other tip that I learned from a member (sorry I can't recall who it was) of this board, is to raise the front of the unit 1/8" to 1/4" higher then the back. If by chance that moisture still builds up after following all precautions, the liquid will not flow out of the front of the unit, where it can work it's way towards your rheostat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)