big sting smoking operation

Started by tsquared, August 29, 2006, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

So I had 20 + lbs of spring salmon (kings) dry cured and ready for a cold smoking session yesterday after work. I went around into my greenhouse where I store part of my cold smoking setup, picked up the box when WHAMMO! I get nailed by a couple of those big black hornets! I realize they have set up inside my cold smoking box! i bolt straight out of the greenhouse, THROUGH the garden gate (didn't stop to open it! :D) and up onto the lawn. Eventually I fish my slightly bent cold smoke box out from a cloud of P O'd hornets by using a long pole. I couldn't get at the dryer hose hanging inside the green house as those bad boys were too aggressive. I decided yesterday wasn't the day to start the smoke, so I waited til dark, reached in and grabbed my dryer hose setup and bolted past my astonished neighbors at full speed. Got it all setup today after work and the smell of alder and salmon is balm to my now itching arm.
T2

MWS

Quote from: tsquared on August 29, 2006, 08:09:39 PM
So I had 20 + lbs of spring salmon (kings) dry cured and ready for a cold smoking session yesterday T2

Sounds like the fishing has been good Tom. That's a lot of STING Salmon.  When you get a bite....you really get a bite.... :D ::) Sorry, it's the best I could come up with..........
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Next time hook up your smoke generator, slide it in the greenhouse and smoke those hornets for a while with your least favorite pucks to calm them down. Or maybe smoke only calms down honey bees. :D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

QuoteNext time hook up your smoke generator, slide it in the greenhouse and smoke those hornets for a while with your least favorite pucks to calm them down. Or maybe smoke only calms down honey bees.
I actually considered that, Habs! My better half started muttering about "a bull in a greenhouse" as she ruefully looked at her tattered garden gate, so I thought patience might be a better option! :D
MWS-Fishing has been great here in Sooke for the past 2 weeks. Lots of springs, lots of Dungeness and just a little beer to wash it all down with. 8) I'm out tomorrow night, Friday am and maybe once more over the weekend and then its back to work fulltime. How was your fishing trip this year? I heard reports that Nootka was one of the few bright spots on the coast this year.
T2

Kummok

T2, you've painted a hilarious "mind picture"....if you'd had a video camera running on this smoking adventure, you coulda made enough $$ to buy your wife a a new gate, in a new garden, in the Bahamas! I'm toasting your good outcome with a cold Kookanee!! ;)

tsquared

QuoteT2, you've painted a hilarious "mind picture"....if you'd had a video camera running on this smoking adventure,
That's what my fishing partner said when I told him yesterday. He just about fell out of the boat. :-\
T2

Habanero Smoker

T2;

I thought you might appreciate this story on yellow jackets; "Yellowjackets Are Supersizing Their Nests".

Click on the link provided, select Listen, then choose your media player.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5756746

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oguard

Fishing up at Nootka was pretty good this year.I use my lil chief for getting rid of the stinging pests,this is the only purpose it serves now ;D

Mike
BTW T2 what cold smoke recipe are you using
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tsquared

Oguard--here is the thread where I give all the details of my cold smoke. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=859.0I only use 2 hours of smoke now, not up to 4. I did try Spyguy's recipe and it produces a slightly moister, silkier product. I prefer my recipe as I find it easier to slice and serve. We're going up to Port Renfrew next weekend for the last time this season. Hope to get a few late spring salmon and some fall coho. Glad to hear you got up to Nootka. I thought it was MWS who went up there but now I realize it was you.
T2