• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Got two batches curing...

Started by MallardWacker, September 21, 2006, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

First is the an old standby...Maple

Thanks to everyone's input I doing a Jalapeno and Honey.  For the first time I am using a good Honey and dehydrated Jalapeno to see if it comes out.  If it looks like it will work the next batch will be "Fire-weed Honey" with Jalapeno/Serrano combo.  Man what a name "Fire-weed and Jalapeno".

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

Sounds like a real nice combination of flavors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MWS

For my first time attempt at curing meats.....I'm going to make Hillbilly bacon. I bought Morton's Tenderquick yesterday and today I'm getting the Butt. I'm so excited......... ;D ;D   I may need advice MW...
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

MallardWacker

Mike,

The only thing I would do is make sure you follow the directions on how much cure to use (more is not better), rinse that puppy well and I would think my sticky on "times and temps" would work well.  I like going that direction due to the fact that you will get good smoke flavor without over powering taste.  Since you are probably going to recook the meat, I would use the lower internal temp I mentioned.  The most cleanest and easiest way of curing is still to use good quality freezer ziplok type bags.  Just my .02345 cents worth here...Please let us know how things turn out and if you have any questions please email me direct, I usually miss my PM's and most of them anyway are usually calling me some four letter name anyway.  Have a good weekend.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

MWS

Thanks for that MW. I was wondering about the cure directions. I'll not overdo it. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.
Mike 

BigSmoker

Hopefully I can do some more bacon soon.  I love it and your newest project sounds goooooood.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

asa

mws -
My first attempt at "hillbilly" or "cottage" bacon was great fun and I'm due to try another batch soon. One plus is that it gives you a reason to "need" a slicer (ie., another toy -  I sliced my first piece using my V-slicer, a plastic German version of the mandoline; it worked to some degree but obviously not as well as a real slicer) Then, using the electric slicer for the second piece produced a really uniform product. I just followed the directions you've already probably checked on the forum and the recipe site hosted by Olds for the BS forum members. I also find that cooking the bacon is easy by putting it on a lightly oiled cookie sheet in the oven (this is the way I cook store-bought porkbelly bacon as well) at ~350 degrees. This causes the bacon to stay relatively flat and cook evenly. I usually turn it only once. This is most convenient for large quantities but also works well for smaller quantities. Recently, I had the opportunity to grab two handfulls of my sliced bacon from the fridge for two different dishes we were making for a dinner. It is great to have on hand. Seems to keep for a long time too. Good luck and enjoy. And let us know if you learn anything new from the experience.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

MWS

Thanks asa,

A meat slicer is definitely something I want to get. I'll have to read the posts from these forums regarding slicers, shortlist the brands and then get to the city to shop around.
It's day 4 and I turned the bacon over yesterday. I decided not to drain the liquid. I think it was Whitetailfan that suggested somewhere to leave it as a brine. Anywho....thanks for the cooking ideas.
Mike 

MallardWacker

Me no drain either....day 11 on mine...will pull about October 8th...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

MWS

Hey MW,

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread somewhat.....just hoping for some insight from the bacon-meister, or any other bacon gurus out there.

I'm now thinking about Saturday (day 7) when my curing is complete. What, if anything, should I brush on the meat after I rinse it. My thoughts were a maple syrup/turbinado sugar paste. I also pondered marinating the (rinsed) cured butt overnight in a maple syrup/applejuice concoction and then applying a maple paste before smoking. Does the marinating sound like it would make any difference? I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Mike 

MallardWacker

I have done the exact thing you are thinking, it was a basic Maple & Maple sugar paste BUT however the last time after rinsing I poured straight Maple syrup and rubbed in well and let sit for one hour then put on the rack just like that...I had better results with that then the paste in my opinion plus it easier and not as messy.  Shoot the standing rule is, if I start the tread take that puppy any where you want to...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

iceman

That sounds outstanding MW. I'm picking up some pork butts next week. Do you think that would work on them like it does on a loin?

asa

Quote from: iceman on September 27, 2006, 03:32:57 PM
That sounds outstanding MW. I'm picking up some pork butts next week. Do you think that would work on them like it does on a loin?
Very interesting question. I have been wondering the same thing, thinking that if I cooked it to 150 or so and sliced it really thin, I'd have something like pancetta that could be used without cooking again - like to wrap around little appetizers/tapas. Loin/CB is "done" at 150-152. So how high would we need to cook the shoulder to be safe - the same??
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

MallardWacker

I have never done a butt till 152, but I see no reason why you can't, if it's done-it's done...really that is a good idea.  152 internal is all you would have to do, but being so large I would take the readings from several areas to be sure. 

Ice, if you are talking about the Jalapeno, I see no reason why.  I need to get the container of the ground Jalapeno I use and show you folks.  Simply it's the best "pepper stuff" I have ever used, infused GREAT FLAVOR, the flavor of the pepper really comes out, it's just not hot but has flavor.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

iceman

Thanks MW. I was thinking about trying some of the chipoltle powder I have. Just a touch to make the taste buds wake up.