How can I Calibrate a door thermometer??

Started by Tim S, September 21, 2006, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim S

Hello to All,

What is the best way to check the door thermometer on my BS to see if it is correctly calibrated??

Tim S
Tim S

manxman

I found the easiest way was to check the calibration on my Maverick Et-73 using the melting ice and/or boiling point method already outlined in previous posts (boiling point method perhaps most appropriate to Bradley Smoker) then assuming the Maverick was OK you have a direct accurate reference to compare the built in door thermometer to.

Even if the Maverick is reading a bit high/low you can take this into account when comparing against door thermometer.

I would always use a separate thermometer as the primary source of measuring cabinet temperature rather than just relying on the door thermometer in any case, they are not the best quality ones.
Manxman

iceman

Manx is right about using a seperate thermometer for checking cabinet temps. Even if it's a cheap instant read stuck through the top vent that you calibrated before using you're better off than relying on the door thermometer. :)

Vampyr

I calibrated my door thermometer in the calibration lab where i work ;)  But Ice and Manx are right about not using the door thermometer.  I use it some but you have to be careful that it does not touch what you are smoking.  It happened to me with a pork butt.  I had to move all my racks around to avoid it.  I need to get another digital for sure.  ;)

bubbagump

If you use a separate thermometer (like the ET-73) to check the accuracy of your door thermometer make sure you place the probe as close to the door thermometer probe as you can. If you don't you won't get a accurate comparison.

I think the door thermometer is more accurate than people make it out to be. The biggest problem with it is that it's fixed in its position and can easily be blocked by food, which will inhibit its ability to accurately read the box temperature. With a separate thermometer you can place the probe in the best possible location within the box to ensure good air circulation around it, which in turn will mean more accurate readings.

I have found that when placing my PID thermocouple next to the door probe, the two are within a few degrees of one another.

Bubbagump

iceman

Well put bubba. Location, location, location. ;)

West Coast Kansan

Location is excellent point. I have been surprized by the difference in temp across the tower given its size. Heater rear bottom, puck burner on bottom left, lower temp meats in between the door thermometer or temp probe on the digital (located opposite from one another depending on the model). A lot of interesting tests can be made... I have enjoyed playing with my digital unit. Temperature means more to me now than pre bradley - bradley is a lot more consistent than a person might first think until you start to look at all the other variations that are in my control. My take away wisdom still comes from the forum - low and slow! Some how it all works out pretty tasty.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)