HELP SAUSAGE MAKERS

Started by Turkeyman, September 24, 2006, 01:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I am Smoking about 14 lbs of summer sausage I have had it in the smoker for about 6hrs the meat is a beef/pork mixture the internal temp has been sitting at about 130 for quite awhile. I have been holding the smoker temp at about 158 is this normal for sausage to take that long? I know I have read some of the postings you don't want your smoker temp to go over 160 so the fat wont break down.  Thanks

jaeger

Turkeyman,
I cook sausage higher than 160 degrees. It's important to start out at a lower temp to start, but with ground meat, you will be waiting until next Sunday to get to your target temp if you keep your temp at 160 degrees.

winemakers

Turkmiester:

Summer sausage is notorious for taking a long time.  Some commercial operations use a steam cabinet to finish cooking following smoking.  Patience is the key.  I have had good luck with box temps between 160-170, without the fat rendering, leaving you with a wrinkled exterior and dry meat.

Are your sausage the classic 3 inch dia.?  Pretty dense stuff and 8 to 12 hours may be within reason and some are smoked up to 24 hours.

Bassman

I smoke sausage at around 190F. Comes out fabulous :P
Jack

iceman

You can also finish the sausage off in a simmering water bath after you get the smoke flavor you desire.
Make sure the water is just barely simmering and pull the sausage 5 degrees below target temp. then give it a cold water shower until the internal temp. drops back below 90 then dry it and get it in the fridge.
I've only tried this on 3" dia and larger sausages.

Turkeyman

Well my Summer sausage did not turn out. I ended up getting pissed off after 13 hours and threw it out.  I came back to the forum and serched everything I could find on summer sausage. I think it did not turn out for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't think that I let the sausage dry enough before smoking  HOW LONG SHOULD IT DRY FOR BEFORE SMOKE

2) I had a pan of water in for the hole time        AM I SUPPOSE TO HAVE A WATER PAN IN THERE ?

3) Not sure about the vent had it open about 1/8" the hole time.       HOW MUCH SHOULD THE VENT BE OPEN?

Now does any of this sound like it was my problem.

I am going to try again this weekend so if you have any ideas that would help me fire away. Thanks

jaeger

Quote from: Turkeyman on September 25, 2006, 05:10:02 PM
Well my Summer sausage did not turn out. I ended up getting pissed off after 13 hours and threw it out.  I came back to the forum and serched everything I could find on summer sausage. I think it did not turn out for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't think that I let the sausage dry enough before smoking  HOW LONG SHOULD IT DRY FOR BEFORE SMOKE
I start at 145f for about 20 minutes with the damper open. Close damper to about like you had it when you are ready to apply smoke.  I smoke for at least 3 hours
2) I had a pan of water in for the hole time        AM I SUPPOSE TO HAVE A WATER PAN IN THERE ?
You want a pan of water in to catch the pucks and to prevent your smoker from starting on fire ;)
3) Not sure about the vent had it open about 1/8" the hole time.       HOW MUCH SHOULD THE VENT BE OPEN?
Start with your vent open only until you start to apply smoke. With the vent open, you allow some of the initial humidity to escape.
Now does any of this sound like it was my problem.

I am going to try again this weekend so if you have any ideas that would help me fire away. Thanks

Turkeyman,
Try this.
Start sausage at 145f with damper open for 20 - 30 minutes.
Close damper to 1/8 and apply smoke. Smoke at this temp for 1 1/2 hours.
Increase temp to 190f until you reach your target temp.(still smoking for another 1 1/2 hour)
Shower with cold water as Ice suggestion.
This would be a good time for you to try Iceman's method with say 1/2 the batch to see how they compare.
Don't worry if they don't look picture perfect when they are done. If you have an air pocket or it shrinks  or pulls away from the casing a bit, don't sweat it. I'm am glad that you are trying. Don't expect perfection on your first attempt. At least you are trying. Take some notes, make your observations and tweak things as you learn.
If you want to discuss this further, try to make the Tues chat. I will try to be there 9pm Central.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/xcelsmoke/Summersaus.jpg

Turkeyman

ok thanks I will try and make the chat. The biggest thing that has me confused is most pepole say do not go over 160 deg. I picked up a fan like most of you have so I am going to try and install that tonight.