My Non-Smoking Weekend

Started by PetersCreek, September 25, 2006, 11:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetersCreek

Saturday morning saw me in Portage Valley just before sunrise to shoot some senior photos.  In spite of a cloudy, dreary, drizzly start to the day, I managed to pull it off and I came away with a fair selection of shots.  After that, I found myself with a day to while away.

The Wife® and I had plans to attend Oktoberfest back down the road in Girdwood that evening, beginning at 4 o'clock.  We had reservations to stay overnight at the Alyeska Prince Hotel but since I couldn't check in until 4:00, I had hours to kill.  So I killed 'em takin' pictures.

Man, my feet hurt and my back is tweakin'.  I need to get in better shape.  I feel like I drove and walked everywhere.  First, I kicked around the Valley a little and picked up a glacier shot or two.  Then, I drove the tunnel to Whittier.  Now, Whittier's not a big place...but I managed to do a fair bit of exploring all the same.  I wish I'd had a rod with me, though.  Folks were catchin' salmon.  Hell, I even ran into a couple of people from the office, while I was pokin' around a shoreline.

Finally, I drove back into Girdwood.  I was still runnin' a little early, so I drove up Crow Creek Road where I found a little bonus waterfall half hidden in the woods.  If I'd been driving any faster, I'd have missed.  Good thing for ruts and potholes, I guess.  Eventually, I wound up at Crow Creek Mine.  It's mostly a tourist trap but I understand a few panning enthusiasts show up there, too.  Grabbed a few shots there, too.  Lots of old, neat stuff.

As for Oktoberfest, it was pretty much as I exected.  They had Paulaner beer, brats, sauerkraut, and potato salad.  Nothing to write home about but the band wasn't bad at all and the people watching was good.  Later, we stopped at the hotel bar for nightcaps before retiring to the room up on the Summit floor.  Nice view.

Anyway, here's a picture link to the gallery.  I don't have many of 'em up yet...I've got other irons in the fire...but it's a start.

(click to see a larger version...and the rest of the gallery)
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

iceman

Nice pics.
Made some more of your pizza dough last night and I'm going to try some tonight. The first batch I used the same day. This time I did the overnight in the refer like you mentioned. I'm going to put the stone on a covered grill and get it up over 500 to see how that works. I might get brave next time and do a "grilled" pizza. When you freeze the dough do you just leave it in a ball after it rises in the refer or before it rises?

Oldman

Great images... nice shooting........

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Vampyr

Iceman  You will have to let me know how the pizza on the grill turns out.  I have thought about putting a stone on the grill but i never tried it.  I put mine on the bottom rack of the oven and i let it warm up for a good long time. I hope it turns out good.  ;)

iceman

Quote from: Vampyr on September 25, 2006, 12:17:05 PM
Iceman  You will have to let me know how the pizza on the grill turns out.  I have thought about putting a stone on the grill but i never tried it.  I put mine on the bottom rack of the oven and i let it warm up for a good long time. I hope it turns out good.  ;)
Will do. BTW I'm taking the weekend off so swing on by. JimGuy is stopping by Saturday morning on his way back to Healy. He and the boss lady are doing some shopping in Anchorage Friday night and are staying in Wasilla overnight. Mabe we could get PetersCreek over to show us his tricks on pizza too. I still need to get some of that special flour from you soon. Lets hook up so I can get that smoker cabinet to you. I just have to find some young strong kids to get the thing in one of the trucks so I can bring it out to you.

PetersCreek

I still want to try puttin' the stone on the grill.  Maybe next time...which just might be Sunday.

As for freezin' the dough, whatever I don't intend to use right away immediately goes in the freezer.  I'll let it rise after it thaws.

Saturday...hmmmm...lemme see if I can catch up on the photo work I have cookin' and maybe I can swing it.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

iceman

Quote from: PetersCreek on September 25, 2006, 02:14:15 PM

As for freezin' the dough, whatever I don't intend to use right away immediately goes in the freezer.  I'll let it rise after it thaws.

Saturday...hmmmm...lemme see if I can catch up on the photo work I have cookin' and maybe I can swing it.
Thanks for the info.
Hope ya can stop by for a tall cold one.

West Coast Kansan

There are different kinds of pretty but some of the photos i see the far north folks post are amazing. A whole kind of country I have never seen... bears in the back yard, mountains and lakes, etc. awesome.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Vampyr

Saturday be great Iceman!  Just give me a time and Janet and I will be there.  If you need a hand loading the cabinet i can meet you wherever you like. Just let me know what your schedule is like.  I get off work at 4 pm weekdays so its no prob for me amigo.

PetersCreek

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on September 25, 2006, 08:24:03 PM
There are different kinds of pretty but some of the photos i see the far north folks post are amazing. A whole kind of country I have never seen... bears in the back yard, mountains and lakes, etc. awesome.

Truth be told, I'm holdin' the best stuff back.  If put the really good shots out there, eveyone would be packin' up and movin' here in droves.  Can't have that.  It'd flat ruin the place.

:D ;D
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

West Coast Kansan

It'd flat ruin the place.

I agree, not much good comes along with a lot of people crowding around.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)