• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Taylor wireless thermometer

Started by MRH, October 24, 2006, 06:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

I just ordered one off Ebay last night for 25 bucks shipped. Does anybody use one of these and how do you like it?  Says it has a 120 foot range, but sounds like it has preset settings for different meats for alarms.  I figure that can be worked around though.  The guy had 24 listed with buy it now for $16.99,  I guess that would be 23 listed now.

Mark

icerat4

I have a mavrick et-73  a bradley and a weber remote .Im wired ;D.and the funny thing is ive gotten so good with this bs i dont use any.I use a themapen.Best temp gauge out there 80 bucks but well worth it.Hope it works out for ya  ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

iceman

The Taylors I've gotten from True Value Hardware up here all had preset temps for different meats but you could also set your own alarm temps. One thing I did notice was that they all read different temps by up to 8 degrees. I tried interchanging the probes and that didn't make a difference. Hmmmm....
I would suggest doing a ice water and boiling water test on it before use to note any differentials so you can adjust for it if need be.
I'm going to ask vampyr about this ( he calibrates stuff like that). I'll let you know what he says about tweeking them so they read correct. :)

MRH

Iceman
Sounds good on the tweaking.  I will check with boiling and ice when I get it to see how it is maybe I will get lucky and have one thats close.

Thanks,
Mark ;D

robs

I've had 2 taylors purchased from True Value. They both quit working after the first few cooks. I'd say however that the range seems to be about the same (or better) than the maverick.

The 1st one - the 2 pieces just wouldn't communicate with each other.
The 2nd one - display was almost imposible to read from day 1. Eventualy the 2 peices wouldn't communicate.

I'm not sure of the model. Both pieces were white. You may have better luck though. Not everyone likes Fords....

Most people on here like the Mavericks, but I think the range is terrible.

You can buy a set of 2-way radios for under $50 that communicate up to 2 miles. Why can remote thermometers only get up to 15 feet (between walls)?

But then again, we supposedly went to the moon back in 1969 and beemed back live video. However, it wasn't until 1973 that the first cell call was made. I guess we thought it would be cool to communicate from the moon to earth, but didn't think we needed to communicate from city to city here on earth.

I bet in 10 years we will have cool remote thermometers! (when the aliens (government) allow it).

Conspiracy!

;)

bubbagump

Quote from: robs on October 24, 2006, 01:07:59 PM
Most people on here like the Mavericks, but I think the range is terrible.

Robs,

If your Maverick is still under warranty I would call the company and return it for a new one. I had a similar problem with the first one I purchased. I called the company and they replaced it with a new one. The new one has been working great and has great range.

Bubbagump

iceman

Now that you mention it robs, my displays are hard to read also. I thought it was just old age and to much beer. Thanks for making me feel better buddy! Next time the boss lady tells me it's to much beer I can tell her to back off cause it's the meter and not me! :D Sure, I can talk tough, (but only when she's not around). I might be a little stupid but not suicidal. ;) Okay, mabe real stupid, but I try hard, well not that hard, alright I just don't care. Nuff said for I get in more trouble. ;D :D ;)

Vampyr

I have a pampered chef digital thermometer and i just bought the remote maverick smoker thermometer.  I took them all to work and calibrated them from 32 to 285 °F (about 6 different points) and both maverick probes and the pampered chef probe all were within 1°F of my set point. I uesd a dryblock calibrator accurate to ± 0.18 °F.  I was really impressed at their performance right out of the box. As far as adjustment it really depends on the device (if they build an adjustment in) but usually you adjust a digital thermometer at ice point (32°F) To get a good ice point at home get an insulated canister (thermos) and fill it with crushed ice (shaved is better). Fill it with enough water to just make it slushy (not too watery). Put the temp probe in as deep as possible without covering where the wire meets the probe and dont let it touch the sides or bottom of the canister and leave for about 15 min to stabilize. You should be able to get a good reading with this method.  Good Luck Amigos!!  ;)

iceman

Vamp you forgot the part about after you pull the probe out you immediately pour large amounts of rum over the ice and top it off with some cola then proceed with the next test (whatever it might be)! ;D :D

Vampyr

LOL You are right Iceman!!  Tonight i skipped the whole probe calibration and went straight for the rum and coke  ;D  You must have read my mind.

MRH

We have some air monitors here at work that the other field tecks take out ice water and some hot water to do a calibration on them each quarter.  I don't have to do it since I don't deal with that model, I do understand what you mean though. ;D

Thanks,
Mark

robs

Isn't even one person going to challenge my theories on aliens, the government, or landing on the moon?

You guys are allright man.

tsquared

QuoteIsn't even one person going to challenge my theories on aliens, the government, or landing on the moon?

I heard they had a tough time smoking up there, the smoke generator wouldn't work properly.
T2

asa

Quote from: robs on October 26, 2006, 03:56:44 PM
Isn't even one person going to challenge my theories on aliens, the government, or landing on the moon?

Sounded right-on to me.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

robs

MRH - let us know how it works out for you.