Who's on top? Stacking order...

Started by imott, August 05, 2004, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imott

Poultry, pork, and beef...
Who can drip on who?
If I were to smoke a chicken, a pork shoulder, and a beef brisket at the same time; in what order would I place them (from top to bottom) in my BS?

New BS...I've done solo smokes. Now I want to do a bunch of meats!

Also, at what would be a good temp for all these goodies to smoke together? I was thinking around 200.

thx
i

Bassman

Hello Imott
I would put the bird on top,then the pork, then the beef. Keeping in mind the bird will be done long before the other 2.IMO I don't think it really makes a difference which rack the Pork & beef are on. 200F-220F is a good temp.Hope this helps and welcome to the forum![:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

imott

Bassman,

Thanks for the quick response!

Concidering the possibility of cross-contamination, I was thinking the bird should be at the bottom. I would think I wouldn't want any ickey bird juices dripping on the beef or pork. Am I over-thinking here?

irv

Chez Bubba

Imott,

This has perplexed me as well, and I am no "food sanitation expert". From a <b>flavor</b> standpoint, I would prefer the lighter-tasting meat to be dripping on the heavier-tasting meat so as not to inflect too much flavor on the finished product. Taking it to the extreme, do you really want lamb fat dripping onto your fowl?

I see your point about the chicky juice, but both the pork shoulder & brisket should be cooked to a temp of 180-190F <b>internal</b>, so I have a hard time believing that the external temp of the meat wouldn't be high enough to kill all the boogies.

Just my opinion though, worth every cent you paid for it, don't wanna hear puke stories![:D]

And welcome to the board!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jaeger

imott,
Why don't you just cook them in rows? All you would have to do is rotate from top to bottom like you normally do as needed.[:)]

MallardWacker

I don't know if this will help or not but.  My first smoke was a Christmas turkey and a store bought cured ham.  Beacause of the place ment of the thermometer in the door(man, that can get in the way some times)I had to put he bird on top and the ham on the botttom.  Accually came out pretty good.  There were no "icky" juices or strange happenings to the ham.  The ham turned out to be the part of the meal.  My biggest mistake in the whole project was that I used misquite(the devil's wood), it really made the turkey bitter.  About any bacteria or what have you, the temps and times you would be using, I personally wound't be worried.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Smokin Joe

Chez Bubba is right.  As long as the pork and beef are cooked to temp, you are fine and don't have to worry about salmonella or the like.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

imott

Thanks all of you for your input!

I did it all...Took about 13 hours for the whole batch and nobody has puked![:D]

i

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by imott</i>
<br />and nobody has puked![:D]

i
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The first & foremost measurement of a successful smoke![:D][:D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?