New Guy

Started by Dalby Spook, October 29, 2006, 12:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi Everyone,
this is my first post. I've had my BS for a couple of weeks. Had some great results and one or two disasters. Kippers ( brined and cold smoked split herrings) were outstanding. Boiled eggs and cashews also good. Not so the mummified Mallard. Actually more like a shrunken head. Better watch the temp next time.

Have just taken out 6lb of bacon loin. ( cold smoke 8 hours ). Can't wait for breakfast.

Some great sounding recipies on this forum.

Cheers

John
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

MWS

Welcome aboard Dalby Spook,

I think you'll find the forum very helpful and the meal ideas endless.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

West Coast Kansan

Greetings, let us know how the bacon goes.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

coyote

Welcome aboard dalby spook, be prepared to let the smoke roll ;D

Coyote

Arcs_n_Sparks

Dalby Spook,

Welcome to the forum. The heat and smoke are fine. Don't let the disasters "haunt" you.

Figure on 10-40 years of smoking experiments, separated by adult beverages and your postings to the forum.

Arcs_n_Sparks

coyote

Disasters are nothing more than a spicey rub gon wild ;D
Welcome again !
                                               Coyote

Dalby Spook

Thanks for the friendly replies folks.

The bacon seems a moderate winner. The flavour is pretty good though I prefer a bit more "full on" smoke taste. Maybe a couple more hours next time Butcher who suppied said it was great. The loin was standard issue imported , frozen Danish. I'll look around for some free range local stuff next time. Anybody have a favorite flavour wood for bacon?
A. Einstien

West Coast Kansan

Maple has been my favorite for Bacon - maybe slice a hickory in the pile here and there. What was your approach / temps when you did you Bacon.  I have only tried twice on BS and got uncomfortable with the temps before I felt the smoke should have ended. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Dalby Spook

Hi WCK

I'm a little confused about the the method used. A lot of you guys seem to use quite high temps i.e. 150f  plus. Does that mean you are actually cooking the meat?
I'm following the traditional cold smoke route from a book by Kieth Erlandson with low temps of 70 - 80f  producing a raw product that require cooking.

Is there another reason you smoke at high-ish temps?
A. Einstien

manxman

QuoteThe loin was standard issue imported , frozen Danish. I'll look around for some free range local stuff next time.

I bought a whole pork loin (for back bacon) from the butcher in Kirk Michael, he did me a deal and sold me one of the loins he uses to produce his own bacon. It is from a proper "baconer" pig and imported fresh from Ireland.

It produced the most flavoursome "old fashioned" bacon I have tasted in a long while. It came complete with some pork fillet and kidney and worked out at about £1.40 a pound I seemed to remember.

Much of the bacon in the US and Canada appears to be hot smoked unlike our cold smoked back bacon. It also seems to equate to our "streaky" bacon using pork belly, that is my albeit limited understanding!  :-[

Also see:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2996.0

Plan on getting another one in the next 6-8 weeks.

Manxman

West Coast Kansan

I would like to do the cold smoke.  I remember watching it done when I was young but I have not idea what all they did.  I have had trouble keeping the temps down in the BS trying to limit to 100 F.  Waiting for cold weather in San Diego to try again.  Also limited by the digital smoker capabilities  - but more experiments to do with that...