Dampner setting

Started by terryrichards, November 03, 2006, 05:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryrichards

And last but not least here is one my my little "theifs" getting a sample. She has so much in her mouth her cheeks are buldging.

terryrichards

Ok, I ate so much I sat down on the couch at halftime of the game and fell asleep I missed the whole second half.

Is there a way of getting a thicker bark on the butts? Icerat, will the mustard recipe you sent me take care of that?

I have had pulled pork from a local hole in the wall place called Sigbee's and theirs has a heavier bark and more flavor throughout. Or is the only way to get that is from a true wood fire commercial smoker?

Any recommendations for wood on the cheese I will be doing tommorrow?

Thanks,

TR

West Coast Kansan

TR, Thankfully NE was able to prevail without either of us. Bark flavor can be spread by a second coating of the dry rub after you pull them from the fridge (Just the rub, I have not tried a second round of mustard). The meat will carry a bit more after it sets for a while with the origional rub soaking in and some moisture resurfacing.  After the smoke when you are ready to pull, try trimming the bark you have off the outside and set it aside. When you have the meet pulled spread it out thin and chop up the bark into fine little pieces. You can then spread the flavor into the rest of the meat. Kinda like little flavor crystals. 

Your food looks great!!!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

icerat4

I DO load up the mustard.And i find butts with a nice fatty layer.Did u have the fat side up the whole smoke.That could be a reason.You may want to see iceman here and ask for some of his rub for the butts.Its very nice.And then take a look at how much rub i have on mu butt lol.I load it up big time .And i mean all sides till its a inch thick.Well not that thick but you get the idea.The day after i take them out of the fridge i rerub them again by just shaking the rub on again.This will help with the extra bark.too ;D.And your brisket defintly leave the fat on and also cook with that side uppie.And just a sprinkle of salt and pepper will do nothing else.DO NOT LOAD IT UP just the oppisite of the butts.Have fun.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

terryrichards

I did have fat side up on the butts and the brisket. My wife took one of the butts to work today and put it in a roaster w/a cup of water added. She said it was much better today than it was saturday. She has 7 people work in her office and when she told them it was in the break room it was gone in minutes. They said that they would buy the meat and let me smoke it from now on. Sounds like a good deal to me, I get to experiment on their dime! and I get to do what I enjoy.

I just put in a batch of cheese, colby jack, sharp cheddar, pepper jack, beer cheddar, and dill cheddar. Doing pecan for 2 hrs. Hopefully it will be mellowed goor for turkey day.

Any good recomendations for the turkey?? I thought about injecting like you would do for deep frying one and using cherry. Any thoughts????

Thanks,

TR

West Coast Kansan

Going to do a deep fry turkey this year and smoke just a couple of the breasts. Got lots of other stuff I need to smoke for holiday. Pecan or apple is nice. I put a little peanut oil in with the juice misting.  nice shinny gold appearance.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Just gotta get me some of the DFT (deep fried turkey).  Hard to find anyone that has said, yup tried it, would never eat it again.  WKC, you'll have to send out the DFT invite next time your in the mood.  I sure you'll need another mouth to feed.  ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

boxertrio

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC