Birthday Blues

Started by Scotty-G, November 07, 2006, 10:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Hey everyone been exploring this site and reading/learning lots so time for my first posting/sharing. 
1st, THANKS TO EVERYONE for their sharing.

Decided to attempt my first brisket for my B-Day this past weekend.  Could only find a 4.6 lb flat at Costco.  Based upon my readings figured that it would take total about 8 hrs till I had to FTC so I opted to wait until the morning of instead of the night before to start.  1st mistake (could have slept in).

Did a rub of salt, pepper, garlic & onion the night before and let the flat sit in the fridge.

7am start preheat the BS to 200f
745am put flat onto top tray, fat side up, inserted digital temp probe into meat - 52f
8am loaded my bisquets - hickory (2) & pecan (1) for 3 hrs, hickory (1) & then maple (2) = total 4 hrs
1215pm turned off smoke generator box - meat was 98f (looking for 185f)
started watching BS every 15 min as temp fluctuations occured - made adjustments constantly
[have decided to make PID control project box am reading up on them right now]
4pm (8 hr mark) 168f
6pm (10 hr mark) 166f - huh?!?
630pm - 168f
Okay, it's my birthday and everyone is waiting for food and I still need 2 hrs of FTC so we opted for pizza instead - sadley
8pm - pizza was poor substitute - 168f
9pm - 168f - okay, I am getting concerned.  Took another themometer I had and inserted it into the meat - 205f
Took out the original digital temp probe and inserted it into boiling water - 168f, then inserted it into ice water - 168f
UGH!!!! digital temp probe not working  = (  = (  & target temp exceeded and don't know for how long.
Decided to FTC for 3 hrs anyway
12am - unwrapped and tried a little piece - little tough = (
Wrapped up the meat and put into the fridge and opted for sleep
Next day took some slices to work and nuked them - made an awesome sandwich!!!
That night we all ate a great meal of brisket - in the end it was salvageable.
Did buy a new temp probe - costco was selling an oregon scientific and will try it out.  Just have to order my PID components first.

Habanero Smoker

Scotty-G;

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your experience; especially on your birthday. That does seem like a long time for a 4.5 pound brisket.  I would have figured around 12 hours.

As far as the internal temperatures. I would not have given them a second thought, until after 12 hours. So I would not have expected a faulty thermometer. The meat temperature will stall for several hours, after the internal meat temperature gets above 160°F and at times you will notice a drop in temperature. At that internal temperature connective tissue collagen begins to break down into gelatin. When this happens a lot of moisture is released, and will stall the temperature or at times reduce it.

It may just be your batteries in the unit. To be prepared for the next time something like this happens, you should always have extra batteries, and buy an instant read thermometer as a backup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Nothing to add to what HS said other than to say welcome tothe forum Scotty-G.  :)
Manxman

robs

What Hab said, and...

205 is a good internal temp, but I think it took too long to get there. Did you gut against the grain?

The internal temp should have been close to 160 by noon.