• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Time I Used My BS I did a Double Verticle Chicken Smoke

Started by iahkaferoaster, November 10, 2006, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahkaferoaster

I started with 2 chickens that said they were "in solution" so I did not brine them, just did a dry rub which was low sodium before I left for work this morning. Wish now I had brined them for at least a few hours (not salty enough). Know better for next time. After reading the forum for a while I went out and got 2 Maveric temp monitors. One remote for the IT of the meat, and one just for the box so I could "eyeball" the temp of the box from arms reach of the beer frig and carry around the chicken IT. Preheated the box to 225F, dropped in a 50/50 mix of oak/mesquite with 9 pucks total and 3 metal pucks. At first it seemed a bit tuff to zero in on the temp, but I got it retrospectively pretty quick. Never varied by more than +/- 5F but a few times after I had things figured out and the temp came back after putting in the chickens. Opened 2 cans of Tecate, dropped in a onion in each after drinking the excess off, stuck the cans in the verticle holders, placed the chickens on the holders, and into the BS they went. Took a bit for the temp to come back, but it did after some temp slide adjustments every ten minutes for a half hour with vent tweeks. It took a total of 4 hours for the chicken IT to reach 170, then I FTC'd them. While that was going on I did the roasted garlic new potato's and green bean casserole and waited for our company to arrive. Seems odd now, because this was the very first time I actually cooked something in my BS. Man sakes alive was that GOOOOOD chicken. Reading this forum made me feel like a pro. Thanks everybody!!!
I hunt, therefore I eat.

Arcs_n_Sparks

iahkaferoaster,

with these few edits.....

"...so I could "eyeball" the temp of the box from arms reach of the beer frig...made me feel like a pro."

...I welcome you to the forum. :D :D :D

Arcin' & Sparkin'   8)

iahkaferoaster

The beauty of the beer frig is it is actually an old pull through soda machine full of Bohemia, Corona, Indio, Hienekin, Bass, Sapporo, Rolling Rock, and Jack Daniels Watermelon collers for the wife. Now if I could just figure out a similar arrangement for my humidor, I would be in Bradely heaven
I hunt, therefore I eat.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: iahkaferoaster on November 10, 2006, 08:37:04 PM
The beauty of the beer frig is it is actually an old pull through soda machine full of Bohemia, Corona, Indio, Hienekin, Bass, Sapporo, Rolling Rock, and Jack Daniels Watermelon collers for the wife. Now if I could just figure out a similar arrangement for my humidor, I would be in Bradely heaven

...and your address is please?

A_n_S  8)

West Coast Kansan

Should this thread be moved to essential accessories

iahkaferoaster, welcome again

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)