Temp for the yard bird(turkey)

Started by CLAREGO, November 19, 2006, 08:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

doesnt longer cooking times mean drier bird ?? whats the best temp to do the yard bird any suggestions? i want to do it between 200-230?

and whats the best internal temp for the thigh of the bird 160-165 will the breast be done ?

tsquared

I did a turkey roast (breasts and some dark meat in a net, about 3 lbs) yesterday. I looked on the board here and went with 150 degrees, finished internal temp. I did it at 230 degrees, with some variation for about 4 hours. It came out moist, done to a T and very flavourful.
T2

Habanero Smoker

doesnt longer cooking times mean drier bird ??
Not if you brine or have a selfbasting bird.

If you are doing a whole bird, dark meat should be cooked until 160°F-165°F. If I am doing them in a smoker I pulled them out 5°F sooner, if they are done in the oven 10°. If you are using the thigh temperature the breast will be higher then the dark meat temperature, because it takes longer for the dark meat to cook. Unfortunately, breast meat is best if you only take it to 150°-155°F. If you under cook the dark meat it tends to be tough and the texture to me is a little "slimy".

I try to smoke my birds at the highest temperature possible (which is not too high in the BS), keeping into consideration that I still need to keep them in there long enough to get plenty of smoke. Also I never FTC poultry, I see not reason for it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gordo

I saw a show on food network this weekend where a feller made a heat shield from aluminum foil.  Just a sheet of foil folded over into a triangle.  He coated it with canola oil and formed it on the breast before cooking with the base of the triangle from shoulder to shoulder protecting the breast.  He brined the bird by the way, using veg broth as 50% of the water.  He did not smoke this one, he put it in the oven at 500 for 30 minutes with the shield on and then down to 350 with the shield off.  He said that allows for the breast to not be dry when the dark meat gets up to temp.

The next show had the same feller (alton something or other) "smoking" the turkey.  In the grill.  With "wood packs" of foil and wood and rosemary and cinnamon and some other stuff....I don't think I will be doing it that way, but I may be finishing the bird in the oven - so the shield idea may come into play.
Gordo
Unskyled laber

iceman

That was Alton Brown (Good Eats). Yeppers the foil shield trick does work in the oven. Brining is the bigger reason the bird stays moist. Between the both you can end up with a nice bird out of the oven. I brine then smoke mine then finish it off in a hot oven to get the skin crisp. I'm not allowed to just bake a bird anymore. Geez ya spoil em once and all the sudden they set the standard bar way up there! ::) ;D

Habanero Smoker

There are so many things that people do, which work. Another technique is to put ice packs on the breast of the turkey, while the turkey rest on the counter an hour or so before cooking. The idea is to keep the breast much colder than the dark meat prior to it be placed in the oven or smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 20, 2006, 09:42:36 AM
There are so many things that people do, which work. Another technique is to put ice packs on the breast of the turkey, while the turkey rest on the counter an hour or so before cooking. The idea is to keep the breast much colder than the dark meat prior to it be placed in the oven or smoker.
I have to agree with you Habs. If you don't like one method just wait a few days and another way to cook the bird will pop up ::) ;D Especially around this time of year. ;) I think the hardest part for me is "Do I save room for dessert or tho heck with it and go for thirds"? :P ??? :D Now as far as cold breast meat...... well I've got a few stories I could tell............er, um........ but won't :D. Good Day folks and lets not forget to have a great holiday, chill out, enjoy good friends and good food. :)