Midwestern Super Tender Bottom Round Beef Roast

Started by tooljunkie3j, November 22, 2006, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooljunkie3j

I don't know how to cut and paste, so I'll just rewrite here- I buy a true bottom round roast- try for a 5-6 pounder. I buy papaya(papain) tenderizer in bulk. It is always sold with salt added. I have tried all kinds of sources for no-salt but have not been able to find it. I rub the roast with olive oil and then coat the meat with the tenderizer until the flesh of the meat is mostly not visible. Sometimes I use a mild rub-quite honestly Famous Dave's Steak and Burger Rub. Fresh pressed garlic and blended onion are even better. Then I use a Jaccard mechanical tenderizer- it has about 36 or more razor sharp mini-swords in a spring loaded handle. I poke the daylights out of all surfaces of the roast driving  the tenderizer into the core of the roast. I then take  about 1/2 cup of fresh lemonjuice and a bit of olive oil and pour it over and repeat the piercing-red wine,dry, will work too, but flavors the meat and does not break down the tissues like lemon or lime. I do all of this in a 9" x 13" pyrex cake dish.Cover with plastic wrap and into refrigerator. Allow to marinate for 8-12 hours,turning a couple of times. Before I got my Bradley, I cooked in covered propane grill, in a disposable  aluminum pan, at about 220* with heat from the far burner.I cook to rare,140*. This is the first thing I cooked/smoked in the Bradley D6. I did it because I knew what to expect. I gave it two hours of smoke and cooked for a total of  around 8 hours at 220* or until probe thermometer read 140*.  It worked perfectly with the added flavor from the smoke. I have cooked to medium rare and it is almost as tender but like any low fat non-marbled cut of beef, it will be more tender rare. Open to questions or suggestions. JET