Dried Venison

Started by jaeger, November 22, 2006, 09:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger

Here are some pictures of the venison I am curing to make Dried Venison. This is the venison version of  Dried Beef. This was the first deer of the year and about the right size of batch that I wanted to make. I have been wanting to try this for a long time so here goes!!!
I used a brown sugar cure. I pumped them each and then rubbed them with cure.  They will stay refrigerated for 7 days. I will then rinse and soak for 2 hours. I am going to smoke for 3 hours with pecan and have the Bradley temp at 175f.
If these are as big a hit as I think they will be, I will use the Reveo to tumble the meat next time. I wanted to make the first batch this way so other hunters or smokers interested in making dried beef can make this without using the Reveo.
I will post pictures of the finished product next week when completed. 

owrstrich

anxiously awaiting the dried beast of the highway...

or would that be skunk...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MRH

Jaeger,

I will be waiting to see the results too.  You got me interested the other night on the chat.  I am glad to see the pictures.

Mark

jaeger

Quote from: owrstrich on November 23, 2006, 03:50:37 AM
anxiously awaiting the dried beast of the highway...

or would that be skunk...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

You probably thought I forgot about the highway beast. Not quite, I had a major set back during this project but I now have the end results.

Here is a picture of the dried venison after slicing.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you back on the boards. Can't wait to see the final results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jaeger

Thank you Hab!

Here are some pictures of a dried venison spread that we used on crackers. I sliced the dried venison  thin with a slicer and than put it in a food processor and chopped very fine. I mixed 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 sour cream with a small amout of seasoning salt and added the chopped dried venison.
It turned out good and had a nice mild smoke flavor as well.
( I set a container on my neighbors table and he could smell the smoke right away! )

Here are the pictures.

West Coast Kansan

oh my, that looks way to good to post! my my...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

coyote

Look'in good ! Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm gonna try my hand at this.

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

I'm with coyote; I'm going to have to try this also. This looks real good. What cut of beef would you suggest?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

jaeger

Thanks for the feedback! I am happy with the results.
There is a lot more a hunter can do with deer than make chislic ::)
Especially when you own a Bradley!!!

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2007, 02:47:34 AM
I'm with coyote; I'm going to have to try this also. This looks real good. What cut of beef would you suggest?

I would use an eye of round or a bottom round. With either choice you will want to uniformly inject the muscle with cure and use a rub on the outside as well. When I mix the water/cure I tend to go lighter on the amount of cure(salt) than it recommends. The mix I used called for 2# cure per gallon of water. I used 1.75# of cure to one gallon (equivilant/I didn't need a full gallon for the pump brine).
The venison was not to salty and it had a nice even cure. No cure spots.

( I would also increase the cure time to 10 days, especially if the muscle is large/thick/big).

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure I will be trying this in about two weeks. I may cut the bottom round into smaller cuts before applying the dry cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bunnydude

I have a buddy that is going to give me a Elk roast to try and dry do you think this will work out as well as your venison? ;D

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum bunnydude!  Keep up posted on this one.  I personally have never had elk, being a southerner and all.  Is it similiar to deer?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bunnydude

No Elk is in a world of its own. To me it tastes and has the texture of prime grade angus beef. I am a cook going on 25 years and have been very fortunate to be able to cook Moose,Blacktail deer, Muledeer, caribou, and bear meat.  ;D

I have only smoked deer and various upland game such as ringnecks, grouse and chukar. Elk is hard to come by I have been hunting them for about 12 years and have only had a handfull of shots so when I get a roast or some steaks I treat them like gold. ;D

So if you get the chance to try Elk I highly suggest you do. ;D

It was nice meeting you ;D

B.dude