Dare me not to change water?

Started by ceeuawlsune, December 04, 2006, 07:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

TICFI
We will see if it sticks and anyone remembers what it means. I still struggle with FTC

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on December 07, 2006, 05:17:08 PM
TICFI
We will see if it sticks and anyone remembers what it means. I still struggle with FTC

I dunno, Follow The Chicks seems pretty easy to remember.... :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

im not into jaw jacking like these genius yahoos however i use one of these roaster pans for my water bowl...

i like the one that goes wall to wall... it holds lotts of goo...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Wildcat

Hey guys, I'm getting to old to memorize more acronyns and it is even harder after a couple of cold ones.  I would like to make a suggestion that this forum create a link to a forum dictionary.  The US Navy and the legal profession had enough of them to last me a lifetime and even though I am now retired, they are still floating around in my head.  I'm still having problems figuring out IMO and a couple of others.  The only one I know for sure is FTC. 
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteThe US Navy and the legal profession had enough of them to last me a lifetime

Add the medical profession to that, and if there isn't one some of them just make one up and expect everyone else to work it out!!  :D

And then you get the typo errors, I remember one funny ...... the diagnosis "post op TURP" (prostatectomy) becoming in error "post op TURD", no wonder the poor guy was wondering why he was getting funny looks from the nursing staff on the ward! ;D ;D
Manxman

Nonnymus

I have been dumping the bowl contents, since it really looks funky after a long cook.  I wipe moisture from the door, also, but have been leaving the inside "seasoned," so to speak, like I've done past smokers.  When company sees the smoke-colored coating inside your smoker, they automatically assume you know what you're doing. <Grin>

In my case, I usually vacuum marinate my meat before cooking, so I just pour the old marinade in the Bradley bowl and hope that it adds a bit of extra flavor.

I don't know what you all use, but (unsweetened) apple juice is my old standby when I'm not experimenting.  For the last wings I did, I removed the tips and put all 24 into a 2-1/2 quart vacuum jar.  I dumped in a tbsp of garlic powder, 2 tsp of kosher salt and then covered them all with apple juice.  I left them under vacuum in the refrigerator for 3 hours, then drained and wiped them  before coating lightly with EVOO.

The vacuum marindade is not that much different from brining, depending on the amount of salt you use, IMHO.  I usually prefer to marinate with a water solution, rather than oil, but something like Italian salad dressing with a bit more garlic added is a darned good change up when you want to try something different.

In another thread, I mentioned that the skin turned out just a little rubbery from the humidity, so I crisped them a tad on my IR grill before serving.  Mrs. Nonnymus is my most severe critic, so after 40 years of blissful marriage, I'm always prepared for her helpful suggestions.  In this case, Mrs. Nonnymus told me and the folks we'd invited over that they were the best wings I'd ever cooked, so to my way of thinking, they were tolerable.

Nonny

MallardWacker

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on December 07, 2006, 05:17:08 PM
TICFI
...... I still struggle with FTC

Man of Left Coaster

What do you mean there....type of meat....how long....what?  It has been my life saver some time and probably more often than I know of.

I think it has become too complicated sounding...if you look at the early threads when I brought it over from the AZBBQ board, it was just a simple as wrap the darn thing up in foil, than a towel and put in a cooler for a while...dazz it, nothing more...nothing less.  It is just a simple way to give your product a little "Grace" and improve flavor.  But to me it does make BIG DIFFERANCE.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

West Coast Kansan

Yea, I know, mostly, well kind of... unless i am tired

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)