Jerky

Started by MGOBLUEMAN, December 16, 2006, 12:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGOBLUEMAN

Can anyone tell me what the best (or your favorite) cut of meat is to use for smoking?? Any suggestions on recipes for brine? And finally thin cut slices or long 3/4" X 3/4" size pieces?

agent provocateur

i would gladly trade you a new case of unused toilet paper for a bag of jerky...

Wildcat

Quote from: agent provocateur on December 16, 2006, 01:13:28 PM
i would gladly trade you a new case of unused toilet paper for a bag of jerky...

:D Ha, ha, ha :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

PetersCreek

Speakin' of jerky...that's what I've been doin' today...

Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Arcs_n_Sparks

PetersCreek,

Very nice.....  8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smudge

I enjoy two pieces for jerky...the bottom round and the eye of round. The bottom allows you to slice it with the grain, giving the end product its traditional chewiness. Using eye of round makes nice round slices (called silver dollars by some meat markets) that are cut against the grain and thus easier to chew.

Both pieces, if selected carefully, are naturally lean. Fat of any kind does not jerk. Carefully select pieces devoid of visible internal marbling. A little fat cap on the outside can be shaved off, but the marbling can't.

PetersCreek

Aw heck...I forgot to reply on topic.  I'm with Smudge.  This last batch of jerky was made using eye of round.  Not only is it generally lean and easy to cut across the grain (as I prefer it)...it was also the cheapest cut in the meat case.

8 lbs 3 oz of it went in the smoker...3 lbs 8 oz of jerky came out.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com