Contrasting Christmas gifts...

Started by Oldman, December 05, 2006, 06:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetersCreek

Yep...but more than just the six shooters.  A typical course of fire requires two single-action wheel guns, a lever or pump action rifle in pistol caliber, and a shotgun...either a side-by-side or an external hammer pump gun liike the Winchester Model of 1897.  My competition outfit includes a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros in .45 Colt, an Uberti repro Winchester Model of 1866 "Yellow Boy" (also in .45 Colt), and a Rossi mule-earred (external hammers) Coach Gun in 12 guage.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Phone Guy

Nice bling bling......looking for those pearl grips....

Oldman

Quote from: PetersCreek on December 20, 2006, 09:13:54 AM
Yep...but more than just the six shooters.  A typical course of fire requires two single-action wheel guns, a lever or pump action rifle in pistol caliber, and a shotgun...either a side-by-side or an external hammer pump gun liike the Winchester Model of 1897.  My competition outfit includes a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros in .45 Colt, an Uberti repro Winchester Model of 1866 "Yellow Boy" (also in .45 Colt), and a Rossi mule-earred (external hammers) Coach Gun in 12 guage.

And here I was only worried about keeping the rats away...  ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

PetersCreek

That's what the Mossberg tactical home defender is for...but hey...the cowboy guns'll work for that in a pinch, too.   ;D
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Oldman

Hey Peter, I have a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip.... I call it "My Get Out Of My House Gun."

I had the trigger reworked to 4 pounds on my 9.  100 rounds at 15 yards and it grouped 1/2". Works for me.

However there was a dude on the range that was shooting a 50 cal.  Damn what a noise maker. If he missed with it no matter... the sound would have scared you to death!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

PetersCreek

Mine's a 500-wannabe...the much lower priced Maverick 88.  It takes a lot of the same aftermarket accessories as the 500.  I put a tac stock with pistol grip on on it...just in case The Wife® needs to use it...if I can convince her not to just swing it like a club.

Speaking of loud handguns...

Not long after moving to Alaska, I was out at a range doing a little casual shooting when I heard a "bah-WOOOM."  I looked down the line to see a little old man...literally...he was about 5' 4" and in his 60s, at least.  He was shooting a couple of Thompson Center Contenders...one was chambered in .375, the other in .45-70.  After a couple more shots, I walked down to strike up a conversation with him while he was taking a break.  Turns out he was an avid moose hunter with these things and even pulled out a photo of himself reclining in the rack of recent kill. 
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Dalby Spook

Sorry to butt in guys, have you by any chance seen that movie clip that's going around of a guy on a pistol range firing the biggest mother of a revolver, I'm talking howitzer proportions, and the recoil makes it fly out of his hands just missing his face. In slo mo you realise he could have been seriously injured or worse.

Is that for real? Can you get pistols that can do that?

Here in the UK all handguns are illigal. To get a shotgun ticket is a minefield. If you want a .22lr rifle it's even worse and anything bigger, virtually forget it unless you can show a damned good reason.

The offshore island where Manx and I live is even more draconian. Even air rifles and crossbows require a weapons  certificate from the police. Oh! and all auto shotguns are limited to 3 shots. 2 in the mag, one up the spout.

What with a very active anti "bloodsports" lobby it's not a hunter friendly place to live. Shoot on guys.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

PetersCreek

I think I've seen the video to which you refer...but I don't remember for sure which handgun he was firing.  My off-the-top guess would be the Smith & Wesson Model 500 (.500 S&W) since it's the newest big gun on the block.  But it could also be any number of other large-caliber handguns like a Magnum Research revolver in .45-70 Govt or Freedom Arms in .475 Linebaugh.

As for it flying out the shooter's hand, you don't even need one that large to catch an unprepared shooter unawares.  I have more traditional revolvers in .44 Mag and .45 Colt that'll fly if not properly gripped.

Without straying too far into an area about which I'm quite passionate, I'll just say that I truly don't envy you your gun laws.  Drop me a line if you ever find youself in this part of the world and we'll make a date for the range at the very least.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Oldman

QuoteThe offshore island where Manx and I live is even more draconian. Even air rifles and crossbows require a weapons  certificate from the police.
Good Night Ms Moses...

One of my Gaming friends lives in England and was telling me about this "now" push to ban larger kitchen knives.... I love you guys, and you are great friends not only here on the boards but with my country.  However, all I can say is I'm glad to be an American.

The idea of having someone governing me as a parent does a child does not abode well with me. One thing is for sure... as the man said back in the day: With a gun in hand all men are created equal.

Dalby Spook

A. Einstien

Dalby Spook

A. Einstien

Oldman

Could not get that link to work... but found this one of a 60 cal hand gun...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7279049101024789666

Dalby Spook

A. Einstien

PetersCreek

Well, in that fuzzy video, it looks like a Thompson/Center Encore single-shot pistol.

That video has been making the rounds for a while.  Some versions even go so far as to say it's a .600 Nitro Express load...a huge, brutal cartridge used in elephant guns.  Most of the online comments I remember reading voice skepticism that it's actually chambered for any .60 caliber load.  I tend to agree. 

The largest caliber offered by T/C from stock for the linked pistol is .500 S&W.  This is consistent with the video in that the flying pistol is apparently outfitted with a muzzle brake, which is standard on the Encore in that caliber only.  Of course this doesn't rule out a customized pistol and/or a wildcat cartridge...but that's an awful lot of trouble and care to go through only to forget to grip the pistol properly.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com