Step by step cheese smoking directions please?

Started by xMAJORx, December 26, 2006, 01:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

QuoteAs in a lot of science it depends on what article you read. The sources I've read have quoted temperatures as low as 35°F. I think that what makes it all the more interesting.

How very true Habs, that's why I always think that very often smoking is more art than science!  ;)
Manxman

Smudge

IMO, cheese sweat is something to be avoided. It's primary cause is cheese not allowed to temper before being placed in the smoker.

To know what cheese sweat tastes like, find an ash tray from an 1985 Buick, dump out the old butts, swish with water (either hot or cold will do :)), pour into a dirty glass, and then chug it down.

I think tempering of cheeses and meats before cooking or smoking is one of the critical steps to a succesful end product. I believe in the mad rush of every day life it gets overlooked. Cheeses sweat, meats recoil in shock.

Smoking foods is about leaving the fast lane. A beer beckons. Popcorn clouds drift by, gentle breezes cool.

I treasure those quiet moments. They begin in the early morning when I take my day's project out of the fridge and allow it to shed itself of its cold blanket.

MWS

Quote from: Smudge on January 12, 2007, 01:08:14 PM
Smoking foods is about leaving the fast lane. A beer beckons. Popcorn clouds drift by, gentle breezes cool.
I treasure those quiet moments. They begin in the early morning when I take my day's project out of the fridge and allow it to shed itself of its cold blanket.       

What a tranquil picture you paint Smudge..
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

iceman

Smudge, your a frigging mind reader!!! ::) ;D After the morning hustle I always look forward to what the day is going to bring when I'm smoking. Ann has said time again she would by a smoker for me once a month just because of the way it winds me down and makes me at piece with the rest of the world. Goods friends, cocktails, snacks, a good meal,(more cocktails) full belly, I better stop. I'm getting sleepy :D ;D Smoke on my friends!!! ;)

dick621

Quote from: whitetailfan on January 12, 2007, 08:13:29 AM
Quote from: dick621 on January 01, 2007, 10:41:49 AM
What Not To Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     Put 2 bricks of cheese on jerky rack, second shelf down.  Vent all the way open.  Cabinet heater off.  Fan unplugged.  4 hours alder biskets.  Ambient temp 32 f.  Checked in 1 hr.  Oh Nooooooooooooo.  Melting cheese running thru bottom of jerky rack.  Big mess.  Into trash can.  Will now work on cold smoke box with dryer vent to smoker.   Oh well.  Should have known better.
WOW.  I dont have a cold smoke offset box either and have never had trouble with cheese.  At 32f, that zero here, ie freezing point - should have been plenty cold.  I've smoked cheese in the summer, just waiting until the sun goes down and no direct sunlight.

My take here is two possibilities "cab heater off" if that means just slid all the way down, I actually unplug it from the back so there is zero power to the tower, perhaps that added some heat.  Secondly I smoke on the top rack for cheese, and then if you have two racks worth, the second one down.  Keep as far away from heat source as possible.

Did you use hot water in the bowl?  I actually moved to ice for cheese smoking, it will become water soon enough.

QuoteDoes everyone do this
Nope, I take my cheese right from fridge to cabinet.  I also thought that it would give me more leeway before the temp of the cabinet started to increase and cause cheese sweat.
I had the smoker unpluged and did put cold water in bowl.  Suprised me when I looked in and the cheese was melting thru the jerky rack.  I am getting a convection microwave from a customer that is replacing hers.  Still works but takes to long to heat a cup of coffee.  I may use the cabinet as a cardboard box for cold smoking. Also will look at the convection fan for the OBS.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Habanero Smoker

Like I said earlier; using the BS I've never had a problem with condensation building up on my cheese. Here a few more links that may help you with your first attempt.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1036.msg10251#msg10251
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=841.0

There are a lot more postings on smoked cheese, but with this search engine it seems almost impossible to find.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

This all sounds good with the cheese. I think i am going to rig something up for it, I will take some pics to post showing.

nepas

manxman

QuoteThis all sounds good with the cheese. I think i am going to rig something up for it, I will take some pics to post showing.

Smoked cheese is SO good done in the BS..... go for it!  ;)
Manxman

nodak

I need to try cheese again, I've done it twice and both times threw it out.  Once it tasted like tin and ashes and once what I imagine an ash tray to taste like.  I left them in the fridge for several weeks and kept trying them hoping they would get better but no luck.  Some one once told me you either like smoked cheese or you don't, maybe I just don't.  Any advice to ensure success?  I even tried several kinds.

manxman

Quotemaybe I just don't.

That may well be the case, I know of a couple of people who love cheese but hate smoked cheese, be it from the BS or commercially bought..... i.e ANY smoked cheese.

Anyone smoking cheese for the first time I would advise using something like cheddar, use the John Watkins cardboard box cold smoke method, smoke for around 2 hours on a first attempt using something innocuous like apple or oak flavoured pucks.

Then wrap in plastic wrap or vacuum seal and leave for at least 48 - 72 hours, maybe even a week before tasting. If you try tasting it earlier it will taste like ash but that then sticks in your mind when you taste it later on IMHO.

If you like it at this stage you can experiment with longer smokes, different woods etc, if you don't like it at this stage it is very possible it is just not for you. We all have things we are just not partial too. ;)

It may well be that this is what you did nodak and smoked cheese is just something that you don't like..... I hope not. Do you like commercial smoked cheese?

Manxman

nodak

I'm going to have to go out and buy some to see if it's my method or if I just don't like smoked cheese.

Thanks

Malc

Quote from: nodak on February 08, 2007, 06:59:36 AM
I need to try cheese again, I've done it twice and both times threw it out.  Once it tasted like tin and ashes and once what I imagine an ash tray to taste like.  I left them in the fridge for several weeks and kept trying them hoping they would get better but no luck.  Some one once told me you either like smoked cheese or you don't, maybe I just don't.  Any advice to ensure success?  I even tried several kinds.
Another idea if you really want to "like" smoked cheese.  Try cooking with it.  Use it where you would use cheese in a recipe.  The "ashiness" goes away through the cooking process and being diluted with other ingredients.  See the Mac and Cheese thread.  Also, the longer it sits the less ash flavor you will get.  My wife didn't really care for the cheese itself, but when I cooked with it, she loved the subtle smokiness.  Just a thought.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.