fish and meat in the same smoker?

Started by drhilarius, December 16, 2006, 12:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drhilarius

Hi everyone - I tried to search for this topic but couldn't find anything... forgive me if it's been covered.

I've had a Bradley for over a year and my Southern California friends are astounded at the awesomeness that issues forth from its smokey depths.  (Most of these people have never had proper smoked bbq).  I've done ribs, turkey, and brisket, all with great results.  I'd like to take credit for being such a great cook, but the Bradley pretty much does all the work.

I would love to try smoking salmon but I am afraid that it will impart a fishy smell in the smoker which will then affect the next batch of ribs, etc.  So the question is: is it ok to use a single smoker for fish and non-fish?  Or would that be a newbie smoker mistake?

Thanks very much!

Rich

LilSmoker

Hi there and welcome, i smoke salmon and meat on alternate weeks with my BS, and i have also smoked salmon in the same BS just half an hour after removing some cooked ribs, and i have not had any flavour clashes or issues, the BS acts like a regular oven you can put put whatever you like in there within reason.

The more experienced BS users here will no doubt give their advice, but personaly i haven't had any problems.

Regards.........LilSmoker ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

West Coast Kansan

No issues with fish followed by something else. Southern CA and real BBQ really is something of an oxymoron isn't it? Welcome to the Forum! What part of CA are you located?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

drhilarius

Well, that is a relief!  I was really looking forward to some smoked salmon, but I think the wife would balk at a second smoker.

I am located in San Diego (Hillcrest).  I lived in Austin for a couple years and discovered upon my return that you simply can't get Texas BBQ out here... people don't even know what it is.  So I had to take matters into my own hands!

Where are you located?

Thanks to both of you for the info, btw!

Rich

owrstrich

i will be back in socal in february...

we need a socal get together before i transfer to the upper midwest...

not the weekend of the drags a pomona... or the sprint cars races at perris...

think about it...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

I am in Oceanside. Qwrstrich, you can pick the when if you like. I live a pretty boring life so not a lot of conflicts to dance around.  I really enjoyed meeting you and Gizmo last month.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

drhilarius

QuoteI am in Oceanside.

Dammit!  Now I can no longer claim that I make the best ribs in San Diego County.   ;)  (I'll just change it to San Diego City).