• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Guru Help!! Soon please =)

Started by RonR, January 02, 2007, 07:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

Hi, guys starting my brisket smoke but not sure if I have the Guru hooked up properly.  I need to know if the smoke generator is suppose to power off and on also along with the cabinet.  Also does this reset the 20 minute timer for the auto feed each time?  Its about time to put the meat in, if anyone out there knows. Please let me know. Thanks.

Arcs_n_Sparks

RonR,

I don't have the Guru, but I would think that you should not have it power the smoke generator. The Guru should only control the heating element in the box.

Arcs_n_Sparks

RonR

Might of found a solution but had to use a second power cord from an old computer.  Guess i'll know soon.

Gizmo

I'd agree with Sparks, the smoke gen should be on constantly and from your post it sounds like you did have the Guru powering the gen but have corrected that with a seperate power cord.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Gizmo is correct.

I check a few days ago to see if they had updated their manual and they now have clear instructions on how to hook up the Raptor Guru. I can't post a link to the manual, it seems that the Guru site is down at this time. Just go to their site and download the manual for the Raptor Guru.

The Cabinet gets plugged into the Raptor, then you can plug the Raptor into the generator, but I usually plug it into another outlet on a power strip. The "fan", generator also get plugged into separate outlets.

Let us now what the problem actually was, because you wouldn't have needed another electrical cord to hook up the Raptor Guru; unless the cord that came with the BS was damaged.

EDITED: This is a PDF file
http://www.thebbqguru.com/kb/kbDownload/bbqDownloads/Competitor_with_Power_Raptor_Users_Guide.pdf

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RonR

Hab,

Im not sure what is wrong with my set up.  I looked at the diagram, but,  My plugs don't seem to be compatible.  What I mean is that the ends of my short plug won't fit in the switched outlet on the raptor.  It has a standard 3 prong outlet.  All the prongs on the smoker cord and the outlets on the smoke generator and such are 3 squarish/rectangular plugs.  Not sure if im making sense.  The outlet on the raptor is the standard 2 prongs then the round ground.

Habanero Smoker

I think I understand what you are saying. The cord that goes from the cabinet to the generator has a female connector on each end, and the connection on the generator and cabinet are male connections. If I understood your correctly, and reworded it correctly, that would mean that Bradley changed the connection on the generator from female to male.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RonR

Well, not sure. I cant look atm to see if it is female. But, if you pull the power cord off your basic computer tower, one end is the standard 3 prong male plug, the other end is a triangular shaped female plug with 3 rectangular holes.  That is what the plugs on the back of the smoke generator look like (the triangular plug that goes into the back of the computer tower.) Now, that is a confusing explanation. LoL.

Habanero Smoker

No you are not confusing me, I believe that I understand. I just hope I'm not confusing you. If the electrical cord that came with the Bradley has a female connection on both ends, then the connection on the generator must be a male connector. Maybe you can send a picture of the generator connection, better yet pictures of your brisket :)

Thanks for the information, that will clear up possible confusion if others try to hook up a Guru or a PID to the cabinet; they may now have to change the electrical cord also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RonR

Habanero Smoker, 

I'll try to post some pics this weekend.  In the meantime, do you see any disadvantages to using 2 power cords? One for the smoke generator, and then one for the cabinet plugged into the raptor? I guess having to use 2 outlets is a disadvantage, but not a big one.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 04, 2007, 02:15:43 AM
then the connection on the generator must be a male connector.

You will never source power on a male connector. The Original BS I have has a female power connector on the generator over to the male connector on the box.

There is no disadvantage in using two power cords (other than not depending on the DBS to regulate power to to box).

Arcs_n_Sparks

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RonR on January 04, 2007, 07:00:32 PM
Habanero Smoker, 

I'll try to post some pics this weekend.  In the meantime, do you see any disadvantages to using 2 power cords? One for the smoke generator, and then one for the cabinet plugged into the raptor? I guess having to use 2 outlets is a disadvantage, but not a big one.

No disadvantage. I hook mine up the same way as you. I was just trying to get a clear picture of what type of connections you had. The only difference between the way you and I hooked up the device is that the cord that came with my BS, is the same type of cord that plugs into the back of your computer.

I was thinking. If they changed the design and now make the connection on the BS male, it may have been designed for better weather protection. Like most manufacturers of snow blowers use the male connector for their electric start hook up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gizmo

The change may have been due to electrical saftey.  I seem to remember some warning message that came out when I first bought my BS that there was a recall or issue on the power connectors with the possibility of shock with the male connector having live voltage.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/