Super Bowl party

Started by pyrodonkey, January 31, 2007, 11:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyrodonkey

I just got my OBS for Christmas. I have done 1 smoke so far, 2 butts and 2 racks of babybacks. I over cooked the ribs but the butts were wonderful. I am cooking for a superbowl party this weekend. I have 6 racks of spare ribs. I am planning to smoke them for about 4 hrs with apple juice spritz after the first hr and every 45 minutes after that. After the 4 hrs can I just FTC for 2 more hrs or do I need to put them in the oven?  Thanks for your help and advice.

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome, you could FTC the ribs after they come out of the BS, personaly i like to juice and foil them, and put them in the oven. Ribs can take a lot of experimenting until you find a method that suits you.
Check this thread out, lot's of usefull rib info here:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4489.msg39002#msg39002

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

pyrodonkey

Thanks for the link and the advice.

irish_smoker

Depending on the weather where you live, i would be worried about the heat loss with opening the unit and spraying with apple juice every 45 minutes.  Seems that by the time the bradley has gotten back to temp from the last spritz, you'd be opening it back up for the next one.  Not sure the ribs would be up to temp after 4 hours of this or ready to FTC, especially with 6 racks of ribs in there.  I would recommend cutting down on the spritz every 45 minutes or at least plan on a longer cook time than 4 hours.

Just my two cents.

Wildcat

I recommend that you read all of LilSmoker's link.  His method is great and Iceman's post just after has great information as well.  Be sure to remove the membrane.  This is important. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MallardWacker

Quote from: pyrodonkey on January 31, 2007, 11:10:54 AM
... I am planning to smoke them for about 4 hrs with apple juice spritz after the first hr and every 45 minutes after that. ...

I agree with the rest that the thread mentioned above will get you home...Like it has been said several times "Ribs are an adventure".  One thing I would like to add, with the BS you do not to have open and spritz, if you had a offset, bandaira, or an BGE you can do that, there is not enough residual heat to do this and it will only frustrate your cooking time.  The way the BS cooks/smokes will still let you keep a good moist product.  My two cents worth , cook till a internal of about 170 and then finish on the grill..it will still be moist and just tender enough to slightly stick to the bone, if that is you preference...or pull and foil FTC or place in the oven until they fall off the bone.  Either way you do not have to spritz every 45 min or so...to me put the ribs in and let that beautiful BS do it's thing and pull at the internal temp of choice.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...