• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

STEAK TONIGHT

Started by Wildcat, January 23, 2007, 02:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

I have been cooking beef steaks of all kinds for about 40 years now.  So far the best has been top notch meat at the begining, extremely hot indirect heat/smoke from charcoal and oak, and then a final step right over the coals.  I have not yet tried cold smoking in the BS and then on to the grill yet - but I will.  My guess is that it will be similiar to my favorite method as stated here except without the smoke ring.  I did try hot smoking in the BS.  It turned out OK but was just a tad dry and lacked the charcoal flavor.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

It is the cold smoke followed by overnight sealed in a baggy rest in the fridge that did it for me. Smoke and immediate grill was not as noticable / value added IMO.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

PigOut

Cold smoking instructions please !!!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

West Coast Kansan

Cold Steak out of the fridge

BS puck burner warmed up with door open - so the tower does not get hot. The tower heater is off!

When puck burner is hot load feed tube with 1.5 hours of Oak (or what ever pucks you like) followed by 3 bubba pucks

Press wood advance 3 times

Load steaks into BS

Remove at end of smoke and seal into baggy

Overnight in the fridge

Grill them next day.

Something like that?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Wildcat

As I said, I do plan to give it a try.  It will be hard to beat my high-heat smoked version, but there may be something to this.  I have had cold left over steak sandwiches the day after and the smoke flavor did seem a little stronger.  I really like a stong smoke flavor in beef steaks. ;D

West Coast Kansan

Works the same way on PR from my experience. Really do want to keep temp down with PR however.

Wildcat

OK - I cold smoked some bonless NY strips with 4 Hickory pucks after rubbing with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion.  Internal temp started at 33 and reached 75F after an hour and 15 minutes so I elected not to go any further.  Wrapped in a cling type wrap and is now chilling in the fridg until tomorrow then on to the charcoal grill.  Will let you all know how they compare with my usual method.  So far the only down side is having to clean up the smoker after such a short use.  Clean up was minimal though.

Wildcat

Belly is full and I have the results.  For those of you that prefer a mild smoke flavor and those who do not have a side firebox smoker or something similiar to create really hot smoke, then the cold smoke method is the way to go for beef steaks.  It turned out wonderful, just not enough of a smoke flavor for me.  (I have already tried the hot smoke method in the bradley and it turned out OK with more smoke flavor but a little dry.)  As I said, the cold smoke was great. Just not a strong enough smoke flavor for my taste.  When I conbine that with having to clean two instead of one cooker, for me my normal method is best. ;D