Cherry Whiskey Smoked Baby Back Ribs

Started by Mctuber, February 16, 2007, 03:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mctuber

Hello all. My second experiment with my bs will be a Ted Reader receipe using a Cherry Whiskey Brine from his Sticks and Stones Cook Book.This receipe can be downloaded in Pdf format just search the web for Cherry Whiskey Smoked Baby Back Ribs.Thats because I don't know how to send the proper link.Puter Whiz I'am Not :-\
Fishing (noun) the art of casting,trolling,jigging,or spinning while frezzing, sweatin, swatting or swearing

Mctuber

Fishing (noun) the art of casting,trolling,jigging,or spinning while frezzing, sweatin, swatting or swearing

owrstrich

tuber... sounds killer...

ripped from www.cook-book.com

Cherry Whisky Smoked Baby Back Ribs

I love to smoke ribs. In fact I love to smoke just about anything. Low and slow is the key to great smoked ribs, so patience is everything. If you want to cut down the time involved, first steam the ribs until they are tender, then smoke them for 2 hours to allow the smoke flavor to permeate the meat.

4 racks pork baby back ribs (each 1 1/2 pound)
    2 cups cherry whiskey
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    Cherry smoking chips
    1/4 cup Bone Dust BBQ Spice (see below)

Cherry Whisky Glazing Sauce

1 small onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup gourmet BBQ sauce
    1/2 cup cherry whisky
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup grape jelly
    2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    Cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper

1. Using a sharp knife, score the membrane on the backside of the ribs in a diamond pattern. Place the ribs in a roasting pan. Combine the cherry whisky, water, sugar and salt; pour over the ribs. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for at least 4 hours or overnight.

2. Prepare your smoker according to manufacturer's instructions to a temperature of 225°F (See page 115). Soak cherry chips in water while coals are heating.

3. Remove ribs from the marinade (reserving marinade for basting) and rub with Bone Dust BBQ Spice, pressing the spices into the meat.

4. Place ribs in smoker and add soaked wood chips to coals. Close lid and smoke ribs, basting every hour with reserved marinade, until the ribs are tender and the bones wiggle a bit when pulled, 4 to 5 hours. Maintain a constant temperature of 225°F, and replenish coals, water and wood chips as needed.

5. Meanwhile, prepare the glazing sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, BBQ sauce, cherry whisky, honey, grape jelly and oil. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Remove from heat.

6. Preheat grill to medium-high.

7 Grill ribs, basting liberally with glazing sauce, for 10 to 12 minutes per side.

8 Cut between every third rib and serve.

Serves 4 to 6.

Bone Dust BBQ Sauce
(a.k.a. The Best BBQ Rub)

As you may well know, I love to grill. Well, this is my favorite recipe for a BBQ spice. It is from my Sticks and Stones cookbook. It just doesn't get any better than this one.

1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup chili powder
    3 tbsp. salt
    2 tbsp. ground coriander
    2 tbsp. garlic powder
    2 tbsp. sugar
    2 tbsp. curry powder
    2 tbsp. hot dry mustard
    1 tbsp. black pepper
    1 tbsp. dried basil
    1 tbsp. dried thyme
    1 tbsp. ground cumin
    1 tbsp. cayenne pepper

1. Mix together the paprika, chili powder, salt, coriander, garlic powder, sugar, curry powder, dry mustard, black pepper, basil, thyme, cumin and cayenne.

2. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from heat and light.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Mctuber

;D This experiment was well worth the effort :o it was enjoyed by all the people who showed up for the taste test ;) now they want all want seconds ??? Try it you will like it ;D

owrstrich

i would try it... but i aint got no photos... i print the photos posted here and cut off a chunk with sizzers and eat it...

im still looking cause im hungered...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Wildcat

It is on my to do list.  Photo's would have been nice.  I wish we could get some scratch and sniff ones! ::) ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mctuber

LilSmoker

Quotefirst steam the ribs until they are tender
Ain't that cheating?

Does sound a nice recipe though  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Mctuber

:o So I have the picture of the CWSBBR in photobucket just need some time in getting it here ???

Mctuber

Mr Walleye

McTuber

When you make a post there is 2 rows of buttons above the little happy faces. If you select the 2nd button from the left in the 2nd row of buttons down. When you put your mouse over it it will say "insert image" then you put the location of your photo inbetween the two img's in brackets. Hope that at least makes a little bit of sense. I put your photo below.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mctuber

::)  Thank you Mr.W.I am one of those hit any key to continue guys.To error is human to really foul up I need a computer. :-[

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

There are also options on the Photobucket post that allow you to save a larger size (width and height not bytes).  I usually do the web image size.  Makes the file size (bytes) small enought for fast loading and the viewable size large enough for tired eyes.  Some have used a thumbnail option also that allows the small picture size to grow when you click on it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/