• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tryin Some Groundbeef/Buffalo Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 03, 2007, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Ok i am going to try it
Got 2 1/2pnds of 80/20 GB and 1 1/2pnds of buffalo to try it my BS. Been in the fridge for 24 hrs and a couple pinches of (cure) so the cure police dont get me  :o  And lets see what the BS does with it.

nepas

OH YEAH BABE

West Coast Kansan

That too aint your mamas meat loaf  ;D ;) Looks real interesting. Where do you score the buffalo and what is it like?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

I have a friend that raises buffalo (tatonka) whenever I need some i just call him he gives it to me for $0.75 a pnd.

Buffalo is very lean so you have to add some fat so its not too dry or i use some powdered milk or whey powder 1/4 teasp. Strips i add just a couple drops of oil, safflower or canola. Add a tblsp of malt vinegar to it. MMMM. Some folks use olive oil but i find it leaves a weird taste.

nepas

West Coast Kansan

When I was living at home I tried it once in a burger form at a fair or something.  I didn't notice a lot of difference but it may have been beef anyway... Lean like that should be great for jerky strips.  Good idea.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Wildcat

I've had buffalo burgers and steaks.  Very similar to beef in taste, but very little if any fat.  We have a buffalo farm near here.  About 20 miles away there is an ostrich farm.  Have not tried that yet.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

smoke an ostrich, would surely want a crown for that one... ;D

NePaSmoKer

Well turned out ok, maybe a little more fat in it next time. Chews good if ya dont have many toofes  ;D  :o

nepas

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

That picture would be jerky!!! Good stuff!

gpsmoker

I have tried ostrich jerkey and various dishes prepared with ostrich meat. Excellent flavor, and to my taste closer to beef than bird. And buffalo (bison) is excellent. Had some buffalo stew at a trade show in Saskatchewan a couple years back that was simply incredible.

Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

NePaSmoKer

Bison stew sounds good gps.
When i was a yonker in s calif desert i used to make rattlesnake chili, my pa loved it but my maa  :P

Maybe i will go to see my maa in the summer and get me a rattler/debone it and make some rattler jerky chunks ;D sumpn different

nepas

bullhead

Buffalo rib eyes are very good. 2years ago the mrs. and I went to South Dakota and came home with 1 in the freezer (the hole bufalo) almost gone.if freezer wasn"t so full of pork and venison I would go and get another.
Rattle snake jerky now that would be different.

Gizmo

WCK - You can get Buffalo burgers in Poway at the Hamburger Factory.  They cost a little more than their regular burgers.  They also serve beer in a boot.
If you want to buy buffalo meat, the Ramona Meat market sells it.  Might be able to get it at other locations as well.
THere is an Owstrich farm a few miles from the house towards the Wild Animal Park.  They have a stand on the corner and sell owstrich jerky.  Tasty but very pricy.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I don't care too much for buffalo meat, either ground or steaks. It's too lean, and not enough flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

QuoteTHere is an Owstrich farm a few miles from the house towards the Wild Animal Park.  They have a stand on the corner and sell owstrich jerky.
Here I thought there was only 1 Owstrich in the world--and we lay claim to him here on the BS board! We're in real trouble if they're raising more! ;D ;D
T2