Stromboli

Started by iceman, February 05, 2007, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

I was playing around with some Caputto pizza flour this weekend and came up with a Stromboli that turned out real good. I made four but they only lasted a couple of hours. I put oregano and basil in the dough to add flavor. Inside was fresh mozz. and four different sausages from Italy. :P Good Stuff!!! ;D

nodak

YES, I'll take 2 as a $5.99 combo special with Coors light and chips, delivered for $1.00 more in 30 minutes or less and guaranteed fresh and hot! ;D

LOOKS MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Habanero Smoker

Great idea! Good looking sandwich.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

O.K. Iceman, you say you are from Alaska, but I'm thinking that is fake address, you're actually in Italy.
Lookin' good.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

coyote

An alaskataliano.........Translated means stomboli in one hand with an iced down double in the other  8)

"Bartender , another round for the Iceman....stromboli and Ice...that's nice"

Freeze on Iceman ,
                                                                                      Coyote

Oldman

Very nice... why not post a step by step how to....?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tiny Tim

I second the motion.  Looks like something I'd like to try to make.  Be sure to include ingredients too. :D

jimguy

Wondering about pulled pork filling doused with Iceman's sauce. Add some diced onions perhaps? Maybe a little green bell pepper? Some Jack cheese? Just a thought.

Wildcat

His sauce is good on just about anything. :)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

I don't know how I missed this post, and hope its not too late.   I got to ask: four kinds of Italian sausage.  Help this paisan out.  Homemade or storebought?  What types?  Gotta live vicariously now-- not too many opportunities for italian sausage where I live now (unless supermarket types suffice) although there's an ample assortment of linguica or potato sausage.   I miss the Italian, though, and your meal looked too good to pass without comment.

There is a meat market in North Beach, San Francisco (Little City on Stockton) that makes all kinds of Italian sausage.  Used to buy there frequently and never a bad link yet. 
Consiglieri

iceman

Hey there Consiglieri;
I use both home made and purchased ingredients in the stromboli. I preffer home made but sometimes time doesn't permit this.
I buy my Italian foods wholesale from Merlino Foods, an importer in Seattle and have it shipped up to Alaska.
I like to use the following:
Molinari Pepperoni, Citterio Smoked Prosciutto,Molinari Finocchiana Salame, Salami Artisan Hot Sopressata, Iserina Hot Italian-Bulk, Castelli Mozzarela Di Bufala, Belegioso Parmesan, and Grande Sopraffina Ricotta.
I use the Caputo 00 Farina "Ideal for Pizza" flour and add seasonings to it.
You have to use the right flours to achieve a good crust for either a pie or calzone or stromboli.
When I baked the strombolies I brush the shell with egg yolk wash to get a nice color and glaze on it.
The oven and bricks or stones have to be good and hot well in advance to bake properly.
I say play with what ever quality ingredients you like and just have fun! ;D :D ;)