Getting the Smoker off the Ground

Started by 3rdfairway, February 08, 2007, 07:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdfairway

Well the Birthday present arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even thought it's raining out side I just had to fire the new 4rack digital up and season that baby.
Did it under the covered pourch.
I have been reading these forums for the last 2 weeks and want to tell everone here that the information is just been inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!
So I signed up and want to dive right in.
My question is what do you pros do to get the bs off the ground and more eye level?
I would like to find a cart that allows for easy access to open the door and also be portable.
If anyone has ideas or something that works I'm all eyes and ears

Fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Truly all men die, but not all men truly live!

NePaSmoKer

Welcome 3rdfairway

Homedepot and lowes have some nice wire rack carts with wheels that are nice and pretty reasonable in price. I have one my BS sits on when smoking.

Oh yeah also check this link for some ideas on them. www.metro.com

Once again Welcome

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hi 3rdfairway & Welcome

Here is a link of the cart I used to use. worked great but I did have to stack 2 - 2 x 4's so the door would open. It worked very well though, heavy duty wheels and high weight limit. I have since built mine into my garage.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442952183&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672442&bmUID=1170993129582

Good Luck & Good Smokin'
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome 3rdfairway.  I have a 6 ft long folding table that I keep on the back porch and I just set the BS and all instruments on top of it when I smoke.  The unit is light weight so I simply bring it indoors when I am not smoking.  I thought of one on wheels, but it would not work in my case unless I wheeled it out of the garage onto the driveway instead of out back. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bullhead

Welcme 3rdfairway, like wild cat I too use a folding table, and bring the OBS in after each use. being below zero temp outside it helps with warm up time.

coyote

Welcome aboard 3rd ,
                           I've sat it on the floor of the garage with the big door open , on a picnic table ,
even on the tailgate of my pick-up . where ever you set it ,get ready for some good eatin'.....and when
word gets out , get ready for some company. You'll find that learning can be a blast with the gang here
at the forum...and of course a little trial and error. That's where a hungry dog comes in handy. :D

Coyote

nodak

I found a nice metal cart with wire baskets @ sam's club.

coyote

BTW Nepas , Thanks for the metro link . I could really spruce up the smokin' corner with some new stuff
from there. ;D .......And just so ya know....I'm telling the wife it was your idea. ::)
                                                                                             Coyote

Habanero Smoker

I use a wire rack cart that I got from Sam's Club a few years ago. It's still functional but has begun to rust. It is only coated with stainless steel. The cost at the time was $50.00; if you purchase it you have to assemble it differently from what the instructions state. The basket shelf has to go on the bottom, when doing this you need to adjust the height of the shelf so that the wheels clear the basket.

I am planning to build a cabinet, but as Wildcat mentioned, I've been looking at purchasing a molded table with folding legs. You can also get them from Sam's.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 09, 2007, 02:23:45 AM
I am planning to build a cabinet, but as Wildcat mentioned, I've been looking at purchasing a molded table with folding legs. You can also get them from Sam's.

I got mine at Sam's as well.  The one I have has a white top so you can tell if it needs cleaning.  I have two of them - 1 for home use and 1 for the RV. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

nodak

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 09, 2007, 02:23:45 AM

The one I have has a white top so you can tell if it needs cleaning. ;)

Heck Cleaning You Say, That's Flavoring!

macattak

I have a split-level home with a deck coming off the kitchen.  I keep my OBS under the deck on a plastic cart with wheels that I picked up at Lowes.  Since I just got the the smoker at Christmas, I don't have any long-term experience, but I know it wont rust and I can just hose it off when it needs cleaning.

manxman

QuoteI know it wont rust and I can just hose it off when it needs

For anyone following this post in the UK B+Q have plastic "Stanley" foldable tables which I have found most useful for the reasons outlined above and they don't break the £££ bank!
Manxman

Scotty-G

Welcome 3rdfairway,

Here's a link to pict of my setup.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4613.0

The table is plastic and I've kept my OBS outside for the past year.
Don't get snow or freezing rain in my area.

The only drawback I have with the plastic table is plastic creep over time.
the area towards the center of the table has started to bend inward, causing
a slight tilt in OBS.  When it gets to be too much, I will probably get a sheet of plywood
cut it to shape, protect/paint and place between the OBS and table top.

Best of luck and enjoy your smoker. 
Scotty-G :D ;D

icerat4

scotty g      i love your avatar.TOO FUNNY.

Just another weekend with the smoker...