making your own pucks

Started by outbackjack, August 28, 2004, 12:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thostorey

I've nothing against the bubba puck idea except that the size of the puck seems to be critical. I have two pucks made from 2" solid aluminium round stock and they want to jam in the track-way of the generator. Are bubba pucks larger in diameter? 2 1/4" or so?

The advantage of a couple of lathe-turned hardwood pucks may be that you can make them exactly the proper size and that they probably wont burn and therefore be reuseable. With the proper stock on hand, they can be turned in a few minutes. I would forget about them completely if I could get a couple of bubba pucks w/o the PayPal/Canada/US border hassle and if they were an exact replica is size as the Bradley wood puck. I'll be in CA for a coulple of months soon so maybe I'll order them then. In the meantime I'll keep experimenting.[:)]

Tom in Qualicum Beach

thostorey

Well, I took a maple limb, about 2 1/2" thick and 12" long and turned it to a 2 1/4" cylinder on my lathe then parted off 1/2" slabs. I used two as dummies for my last smoke and they worked great. The closest to the burner charred a bit but it is reuseable. The whole process took about 15 minutes and I made enough to last a year.

I've nothing against an aluminium puck but I couldn't find round stock 2 1/4" in diameter. As I said before, the 2" aluminium pucks jammed in my smoker. So there you go, another alternative[:)]

Tom in Qualicum Beach

JJC

Thanks, Tom--now all I need is a lathe [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Labluver

Are you able to use them as alternatives to bisquettes or just as dummy pucks?

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Are you able to use them as alternatives to bisquettes or just as dummy pucks?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

One or two people have said they work OK as replacement bisquettes but the evidence is very limited,as far as I am aware non of the regular forum members use them or have indeed tried them. Some are very sceptical as to how well they would work.

No doubt they would burn differently than normal bisquettes due to differences in density and the 20 minute burn time.

Really needs someone to actually try it directly and come back and say it does or does not work as most of the current evidence is second hand.

Manxman.
Manxman

owrstrich

if i had a basement... at harvest... i would puck up the sticky and give it a few weeks to cure...

i would fill the tube with pucks and hit the puck advance... i would order pizzas and never leave the basement...

since i dont have a basement... i can dream about it...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

georgeamer

I make mine out of plywood then wrap them in heavy duty foil...
George

buttburner

I have tried making my own pucks with mixed results and have posted on my efforts earlier.

I have since just gone the Amazon deal on buying them.

But I have found a simple way to stretch them out and use a few less every smoke.

after all the loaded pucks have burnt and have been pushed though by Bubba, I carefully remove the smoke generator and dump the remaining bubbas into a bucket of water, Then I just load a heap of sawdust right on the smoke generator hot plate, and slide it back in the unit.

I get probably a 1/2 hr of additional smoke this way, without opening the door and losing heat. it would be a hassle to do this for the whole smoking time, but it works well for one or two times at the end. And the puck savings add up after a few smokes.