• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

plantar fasciitis

Started by icerat4, March 09, 2007, 10:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hi guys.Well during my weight loss ive gotten this foot tendion problem called plantar fasciitis.Anyone else have this and what are you doing to get it to pass.I have the boot to ware and i ice it down every night and strech it out best as i can but still no relief.They say a cortazone shot will help or else surgery.YUK.aNY OTHER IDEAS HERE.Well the good news is im down 40 plus pounds :o but my old fat butt took a beating on this loss.But from size 40 pants back to 33-32 im a happy camper  ;Dand can deal with the pain some what on certian day.Any and all help is greatly apericated Thanks alot.RATOUT ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

okeejohn

Have you gotten an X-ray to make sure it's not heel spurs causing the pain? I would not recommend surgery...puts you at increased risk for archille's tendon rupture. Keep ice on the area that hurts and take motrin 800 mg three times daily with food x 1 week.....only if you are not allergic to Motrin and no history of ulcers. This may take up to a year to heal.

John Wade

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum okeejohn.

Rat - I have heel spurs on both feet.  I have been getting shots and they are no fun, but help.  Also, I have found that heat really helps and then stretching just after.  Use a wall and put one foot well behind and stretch the calf muscle.  It will pull on the tendon and make it feel better for a time afterward.

For heal spurs, there is a good surgical procedure (my wife had it done) that really works.  They slit a portion of the tendon so that the tendon goes around the spur thereby giving pain relief.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

winemakers

Took me a year rat.  Frozen water bottle ice massage nightly, flexible night boot that kept my toes pointed upward (internet search~cheap 30 bucks) and lots of time.

gone now hopefully never to return.  If I ever have a hint of that pain again, I will hit the treatment protocol asap.  It sucks.

my research is inconclusive, however, heel spurs often misdiagnosed over-surgery(ied) (ortho surgeon in family) and not true cause.  Time, consistent treatment= relief for this recently over-forty ground-pounder who still believes he can do what he did at 18.

nsxbill

Plantar faciitis is a bear to live with.  I grew up as a military brat in Japan, and picked up the habit of running around the house in my bare feet.

The most important thing to remember is that you have to wear shoes all the time, even when you get up in the middle of the night to use the can. 

Cortisone injections into the heel will give you some temporary relief while the inflammation subsides.  They hurt because the doc has to inject through the heavy skin pad on the heel.

When my weight was hovering up around 390#, I had a heck of a time with it.   Went in to see my doctor, and got shots through the thick heel pad of my feet.... both of them, and walked out with no pain.  The key is good shoes...good support at the heel.... and you have to have them on your feet when you are on them. 

NSAIDS like Motrin, Advil, Lodine, Celebrex, etc. help reduce the inflammatory process, but if your doctor orders them x times a day, plan your life around taking meds evenly spaced throughout the day.  Example Motrin 800 every 8 hours, or Lodine every 12 hours when ordered twice daily, and the jewel, Celebrex every 12 hours or even just once daily.  It is a cox-II inhibitor, and the best of the lot, but same family as Vioxx and Bextra, both of which have been recalled because they cause Cardiac problems.  They are not a pain meds.  They are anti-inflammatory, and you have to be consistent about taking them, and ultimately it will resolve.

The bottom line is that if you run around in your bare feet, you ultimately will have a problem that will keep coming back, and nothing like it exists!  Ice will help reduce the inflammatory process, after you take your meds.  No more than 20 minutes...off 20 minutes, then back to the ice again...as much as you want through the day, but on 20 off 20.  Don't want to get frostbite or have skin problems due to the cold.

Along with being a smoker, I've been in nursing since 1963.  So seen a few cases of this myself, as well as had it.  The above is the treatment regimen that works best.

Hope it works for you.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

manxman

Quoteputs you at increased risk for archille's tendon rupture

and take it from me, achilles tendon rupture is seriously not funny!!  :(

Good advice from nsxbill about NSAID's and good shoe support. Hope you get some relief soon Rat.  :)

Manxman

agent provocateur

i have planters crapyitis...

everytime i crap... which is once a month... give or take 2 weeks... its the size of a planters peanut... a single... not a double... well... sometimes a double... but not recently...

Wildcat

My doc also provided sole inserts for my shoes as well as a night splint.  Surgery is a last resort, but sometimes it is a must when other treatments simply do not cut it.  Most people do not need the surgery.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

The night splint worked for me but you have to use it a quite a while.  I think I quite cheating and finally made it a month.  Have not had trouble (bad) since then... ask your doc about it. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Dalby Spook

You have my sympathy Ice, as I was diagnosed with the same before Christmas. Being a postman and carrying a 30lb bag of mail 4 miles a day, 6 days a week, you can understand it causes me big problems. Doc gave me 75mg Motifene ( Diclofenac Sodium) which has
helped a lot but he says it's a long road ahead, (sic) possibly many months.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

icerat4

Thanks for all the input.I am going to get the custom inserts made.A few of the guys i skate with have them and it seem that will help the most.Once again thanks alot .And nice too see ya again nsxbill take care. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

manxman

Quoteyou can understand it causes me big problems.

Hope it hasn't affected you getting out in the hills shooting DS?
Manxman

LilSmoker

Quoteachilles tendon rupture is seriously not funny!!

You're right about that Manx, the year before last i had a a fall at work, i landed awkward on my left foot, i ruptured my achilles, and managed to tear it away from the bone :o

The insurance wouldn't pay out, (surprise surprise) i'm self employed, and luckily i had some savings which kept us going, anyway i was off work for over 8 months, and it still isn't quite right now  ::) so yeah definately no joke, and not something i'd want to go through again.

My back is also shot, i need rebuilding like the $6000000 man!  ::) ;D ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Quote from: icerat4 on March 11, 2007, 09:40:58 AM
Thanks for all the input.I am going to get the custom inserts made.A few of the guys i skate with have them and it seem that will help the most.Once again thanks alot .And nice too see ya again nsxbill take care. ;D
They really work rat. All I can say is DO IT!!! Honest buddy. ;)

Dalby Spook

Ah ! well you see hunting is is classified as therapy, Manx !!!!
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien