Lubricating Smoke Generator

Started by ottawabrad, March 11, 2007, 03:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawabrad

Hello All,

I have had a BS for a few years now and clean the SG every few months (I don't tend to use it that much). This weekend $the SG stopped advancing pucks...The peice that pushes the pucks goes about half way and stops and goes back to the original position. It sounded dry (like it needs to be lubricated). I've cleaned the SG and now the pusher seems to function again, however still sounds "dry" (for lack of a better term). Is there a proper way to lubricate this peice?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Habanero Smoker

I lubricated the advance mechanism about yearly or less, and (believe it or not) the advance button with graphite powder. Just use it sparingly and be careful with it. Some one warned me that it is a conductor of electricity, but if you put a small amount on the tracks it shouldn't be a problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ottawabrad

Thanks...I was thinking about white grease...any thoughts? Also what is the best way to get it in the tracks?

Brad

West Coast Kansan

Seems like grease would be a dirt / crumb magnet? Some light house hold oil would be better i would think  ??? i dont know  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Back when I owned a fishing boat, I used to get this spray lubricant that was designed for electrical connections and helped prevent corrosion.  Although this was on a DC system, I do not know why it could not be used on an AC system.  I used to get it at a Marine Store.  Do not remember the name of it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ottawabrad on March 11, 2007, 04:41:05 PM
Thanks...I was thinking about white grease...any thoughts? Also what is the best way to get it in the tracks?

Brad

The powdered graphite I got comes in a small tube with a long needle nozzle. When I take my generator apart during my semi-annual cleaning I just apply it at that time when it is easy to get to. I use the graphite powder, as WCK states, the white grease and other liquid lubricants tend to pick up grime and dirt. A little tube lasts a long time. I believe I purchased it from either an auto parts store or Radio Shack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteBack when I owned a fishing boat, I used to get this spray lubricant that was designed for electrical connections and helped prevent corrosion. Do not remember the name of it.

I use a similar thing on my outboard engines, think it is made by Rock Oil if that is any help? Will check the name out when I get home.
Manxman

Tiny Tim

I sell graphite here in my NAPA store...come getcha some. ;) :D

hillbillysmoker

What about dry white mica powder?  It works great to lube cases when reloading shells.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

carnie1

Sounds like the spray you're talking about is called Boeshield T-9  http://www.boeshield.com/This is pretty good stuff, I use it on truck and trailer plugs to prevent corrosion

West Coast Kansan

Habs, does it seem to stay in place?  I will usually give my SG a good shake as part of my clean up...to get loose chips out.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 12, 2007, 08:19:49 PM
Habs, does it seem to stay in place?  I will usually give my SG a good shake as part of my clean up...to get loose chips out.

Everything that I have used it on whether it's plastic or metal, it adheres on contact. If you apply too much the top layer will remain as powder; in that case I use a thin wooden skewer to spread it out more evenly.

Hillbillysmoker;
I never heard of dry white mica powder. I'll have to look that one up, it sounds interesting. Sounds like it should work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hillbillysmoker

Hab, Lubes just like graphite.  Same characteristics only without the black residue like the graphite leaves behind.  midwayusa.com sells it as a lubricant for cases when reloading.

Link:  http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=mica
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: hillbillysmoker on March 13, 2007, 08:16:13 AM
Hab, Lubes just like graphite.  Same characteristics only without the black residue like the graphite leaves behind.  midwayusa.com sells it as a lubricant for cases when reloading.

Link:  http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=mica

Thanks for the link. I might switch to that. As you stated that graphite sticks to everything, giving what it adheres to a blackness color. My red advance button is barely distinguishable for the black generator casing. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.