1st impression ..... concerned

Started by Tramp, March 29, 2007, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tramp

Hi all........Got my 6 rack digital yesterday, and it arrived in perfect condition.

Went togehter in 5 mins and was on the front porch "seasoning" in no time. I am a bit concerned at the aroma of the "bisquettes". I have been smoking for years with hicokry, and i bought the hickory bisquettes, but when i started to get smoke, it didnt smell anything like any hickory i had ever used, In fact it smelled like sawdust burning. Cant imagine i did anything wrong, guess i'll see how the first cook goes....that will be this weekend.
Wayne

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum Tramp and congrats on the purchase.  It IS burning sawdust.  Have faith, the hickory taste WILL come through.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tramp

Great to hear, cant wait to start cookin with this bad boy
Wayne

Wildcat

Be sure to post results, preferrably with pictures.  If you have any questions, the members on this forum will help you out.  Heck, I think most of us live for the opportunity to give advice.  Just like a regular family. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi Tramp and welcome, Gizmo also has the 6 seater digital, and has done a few miles with it by now, so he can give you some pointers, i believe West Coast Kansan also has digital. As Wildcat says, always plenty of help and advice here  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tramp on March 29, 2007, 06:26:10 AM
Hi all........Got my 6 rack digital yesterday, and it arrived in perfect condition.

Went togehter in 5 mins and was on the front porch "seasoning" in no time. I am a bit concerned at the aroma of the "bisquettes". I have been smoking for years with hicokry, and i bought the hickory bisquettes, but when i started to get smoke, it didnt smell anything like any hickory i had ever used, In fact it smelled like sawdust burning. Cant imagine i did anything wrong, guess i'll see how the first cook goes....that will be this weekend.

Tramp;
Welcome to the forum.

During the seasoning, you are not only coating the walls of the cabinet, but also burning off any residual oils left on the metal during the manufacturing process. Hopefully that is what was giving you an undesirable odor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Welcome Tramp, Gizmo's like yours is bigger than mine  :o Not to worry once you get the units really seasoned the flavors are just what you want. The Bradleys are interesting units and different than what you are used to using I am sure. 

The smell is a bit different. There is never any fire and the puck will smolder not really burn. You dont get the full load of tars, soot, other cancer causing agents you get from really burning wood coals. Bradley calls it a "Clean Smoke" which does not make sense but really comes through on oysters, scallops, other foods.

Just as you say to yourself the smoke smells like smoke, you will hear a little swish sound as the puck is ejected into the water bowl and another one is automatically loaded... go easy on the smoke times especially on foods that absorb smoke easy. 

:D Way much fun ahead.  Let the members know how it is going.  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

IKnowWood

Tramp

As many of us know and relate. You are starting on an adventure of smells and tastes like no other when it comes to cooking.  This smoker is so versitle in meat, vegtablesl, diary and such that your adventures are what you think and learn on the boards to go for it.  If you think it, post it, we can talk about it and all grow in the adventure,

Welcome and lets have a great time.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

West Coast Kansan

Tramp, Just noticed - I think NePa Smoker is close by you. A couple of others also. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Tramp

Yes NePa is close to me, i noticed the name and checked the profile. Havent looked around at much in the way of profiles seein as how there's a TON of info on this board. As for the "aroma" issue, i think i got it. I did up some chicken last night (thighs), and a small pork butt that i finished off in the oven due to low outside temps. ( I know i said 1st cook was this weekend, but who could wait)

The chicken got way too smokey, but the butt turned out perfectly. Guess it's all a learning curve, but then that was always the fun of BB-Q'n from the get go.  ;)

Great machine, and great forums. Thank you all for the welcome, and ideas. :)
Wayne

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Tramp on March 30, 2007, 10:56:38 AM
The chicken got way too smokey, but the butt turned out perfectly. Guess it's all a learning curve, but then that was always the fun of BB-Q'n from the get go.  ;)

Exactly what happened to me on my second venture, only it was ribs and a pork loin roast...the roast was perfect, but the ribs were way too smoky.

Welcome.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tramp on March 30, 2007, 10:56:38 AM
Yes NePa is close to me, i noticed the name and checked the profile. Havent looked around at much in the way of profiles seein as how there's a TON of info on this board. As for the "aroma" issue, i think i got it. I did up some chicken last night (thighs), and a small pork butt that i finished off in the oven due to low outside temps. ( I know i said 1st cook was this weekend, but who could wait)

Great machine, and great forums. Thank you all for the welcome, and ideas. :)

Hi Tramp

we should try to get together sometime.

nepas

Tramp

Maybe on one of my campin trips. I go to Hickory Run mostly.....may have to look into a site with electric now though, not sure i can bare the thought of leaving my DBS behind  ;D
Wayne

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tramp on March 30, 2007, 11:46:22 AM
Maybe on one of my campin trips. I go to Hickory Run mostly.....may have to look into a site with electric now though, not sure i can bare the thought of leaving my DBS behind  ;D

Now you need a propane smoker  ;D

nepas

carnie1

Maybe you guys can come visit me, I travel all over the area, was thinking about the BPS too