How much do you clean your BS?

Started by Junk Yard Dog, April 05, 2007, 03:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

I never get my temps past 210 thats for sure.LOW N SLOW.The meat just falls of with a very very slight tug.It may take a bit longer but well worth it for sure.190-205 top tops ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Wildcat

Very nice looking ribs Rat. ;)  Now I'm craving ribs when we are scheduled to go out for Mexican with other family members. :'(
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

IKnowWood

wildcat.  While you are at dinner think about and discuss how you can make some of these dishes, Burrito, Enchilada, tacos etc..  with smoked meat.

For example, you can do smoked Carne Asada (using a top choice roast, brisket, or flank steak) smoked to oh so tender pulld into chunks and used as taco meat. 

Or use pulled pork in the burrito with a Red chili sauce (this is actually my favorite way to do Burritos).  What we do is fry the pulled-pork to crisp it up and use it in the Burrito.  Amazing!!!

Or do some Enchilada's with Pork or Beef or do some Chicken or Turkey.

Heck, its a waste, but you can use Rib Meat in ANY of the options above.  Or just tell them spicy rib meat is close enough to Mexcan.

Before you know it you will have a game plan for somethign good next time.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Wildcat

NePaSmoKer

West Coast Kansan

Pork Butt burritos define Bfast for me.  Little scrambled egg and hash browns and your eating like a king.  I have moved from Taco sauce to Iceman's sauce for Bfast burritos. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Quote from: Junk Yard Dog on April 06, 2007, 02:51:28 AM
I like the idea of steaming the ribs in apple juice and Jack Daniels.  Do you do this in the oven after smoking?  At what temperature?  I also like the idea of coating the ribs with honey, apple juice and a little olive oil before putting on the rub.

Thanks again.
Yes after smoking.  Like Icerat mentioned, convection oven at 195 (actually I'll do 195 to 220 and don't know if it has ever made a difference) in a foil boat.  The time in the boat makes a big difference on how tender the ribs turn out.  They have gotten to the point where when you touch them, the only thing left in the air is the bone.  The meat is on the plate.  That is the way my dad liked them (false teeth).  Mom likes to chew them off the bone and put the dogs to shame. ;D

As for cleaning the inside, every ones advice is right on.  The only thing I would comment on is the box walls are like the Chief's (in the Navy) coffee cup.  After 20 years it has never been washed.  That is where all the flavor is.  I did have a shipmate once that almost lost his life when he was on an aircraft carrier.  Seems he got board one night on watch and decided to clean up the coffee mess (area where the coffee maker and cups are stored).  It took him a few hours of cleaning to get all the stains out of those old cups.  When the Chief went to get coffee, he instantly was out for blood.  The shipmate tried to hide behind the 1st class petty officer but he quickly moved out of the way and noted that no one in their right mind would ever clean a coffee cup with 20 years of tradition built up in it.  The shipmate was on the run for hours.  Fortunatly there is a lot of distance on them there floating cities to run and hide for days.  I think he was safe after 2 weeks of hiding.  He certainly survived, which is surprising.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

IKnowWood

WCK

A twist.  Use the hash browns IN the burrito with egg and pulled pork with the sauce, roll the wrap and more sauce on that with some shredded cheese. Melt. Its the Goose Bay Mexican Omlet!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Wildcat

Quote from: IKnowWood on April 06, 2007, 08:24:54 PM
WCK

A twist.  Use the hash browns IN the burrito with egg and pulled pork with the sauce, roll the wrap and more sauce on that with some shredded cheese. Melt. Its the Goose Bay Mexican Omlet!

Good idea.  I still have a little pulled butt left and it is almost lunch time.  Now if Jr did not eat all of Iceman's sauce yet - - -

West Coast Kansan

IKW, right on! that is what i was intending to say... LOADED burrito

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: Gizmo on April 05, 2007, 08:40:50 PM

You can tenderize the ribs by wrapping in foil with apple juice (and some Jack Daniels :P) and heating (steaming) them for 90 minutes or so.  They will fall off the bone at that point.  I only have ribs in the smoke for 4 hours and then the 90 minutes in foil and Jack.

Gizmo (or anybody),
I have a brisket and ribs in the DBS right now.  I put on the brisket last night, and the ribs this morning.  I want to try your steam method with apple juice and Jack Daniels after smoking both.  What temperature do you steam at?  I would think it would be >  212º. And, I suppose you do that in your kitchen oven.

Also, since this is my first brisket, I'm unsure of the desired IT.  Right now (after 12 hours), it is at 167º.  Don't I want it to be about 185º?

Thanks.

Gary in Texas

Gizmo

JYD,
You are right on track.   I do use my oven as it has a pure convection mode (even heat all around) and extremely tight temperarture control neither of which the bradley has.  For the oven temperature, I use around 190 degrees for the ribs.  My intent at this point is to not further cook them but to tenderize without removing flavor (as in boiling).  The AJ and Jack add a nice little after note to the rub and smoke.

IT for a brisket (for me) is 185 degrees.  Your 167 is probably the stall temperature (Point at which the fat starts to break down and flavor the meat.

Junk Yard Dog

Report:  The brisket and ribs were supurb!  The ribs were falling off the bone, and the brisket was as tender as you get at a BBQ joint.  Being a tequila and rum drinker, I think next time I won't use the Jack Daniels - I can see how a bourbon person might like it though.  Also, I pulled the brisket at 174 - I think that was the "stall" temperature.  I hadn't read your post before pulling it.  Next time, I will leave it a while longer.

All in all, I'm fired up (no pun intended  ;D )
Gary in Texas

Gizmo

Quote from: Junk Yard Dog on April 16, 2007, 03:01:12 PM
Report:  The brisket and ribs were supurb!  The ribs were falling off the bone, and the brisket was as tender as you get at a BBQ joint.  Being a tequila and rum drinker, I think next time I won't use the Jack Daniels - I can see how a bourbon person might like it though.  Also, I pulled the brisket at 174 - I think that was the "stall" temperature.  I hadn't read your post before pulling it.  Next time, I will leave it a while longer.

All in all, I'm fired up (no pun intended  ;D )

Sorry to here it only turned out as tender as the BBQ Joint.  A little more tweekin and you'll far surpass them.   ;D LOL

Yep, the variations in taste are definatly to individual liking.  Like you I am not a bourbon person (prefer my italian cadillac margaritas myself) but I do like the variety.  Sometimes I'll use Jack, Wild Turkey, Drambui, red wine, beer, just apple juice.  Hmmm, wonder if the MOJO approach would work?

Anyway, Glad to here things turned out great.  Keep up the posts and Pictures are always a welcome site.

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo etc. Hot style V8 was interesting last weekend.  (Are you in TN)