Broccoli Salad

Started by irish_smoker, October 19, 2006, 05:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_smoker

This is a salad that I've made quite a bit in the past several months and gotten great reviews from everyone, thought I'd share.

4-5 oz. of raisins (add more or less depending on your preference)
1 bunch of fresh broccoli (cut down to bite size pieces of the stems, not much stalk...or bite size trees as the wife has described)
1 med. red onion, diced
1 lb. of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Dressing:
1 C of Mayonnaise
1/3 C of sugar
1 tsp. vinegar

I usually mix the raisins, broccoli, and onion.  Then toss in the dressing and throw it in the fridge until ready to serve.  I'll also put the bacon in a seperate container and throw it in the fridge as well.  When I'm ready to serve, go ahead and mix the bacon in so that it's still crisp.

owrstrich

that sounds really good... my wench makes a good broccoli salad with that hidden valley ranch mix and sowered cream...

speaking of sow... check this recipe for bacon salad...

1 bunch of fresh broccoli (cut down to bite size pieces of the stems, not much stalk...or bite size trees as the wife has described)
1 med. red onion, diced
10 lbs. of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Dressing:
1 C of Mayonnaise
1/3 C of sugar
1 tsp. vinegar

I usually mix the raisins, broccoli, and onion.  Then toss in the dressing and throw it in the fridge until ready to serve.  I'll also put the bacon in a seperate container and throw it in the fridge as well.  When I'm ready to serve, go ahead and mix the bacon in so that it's still crisp.

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

manxman

Nice one irish_smoker, we often eat broccoli as a crudite and this sounds really good.

Thanks.  :)
Manxman

iceman

Dang good sounding recipe i.s. I'll be for trying that soon. :P

ceeuawlsune

I have made a VERY similar salad to that one before...another really nice addition can be toasted nuts of some kind (sunflower seeds or toasted pine nuts are particularly good with the broc & bacon).  Also, add a little cayenne or chili powder to that dressing for spice, or, if you're feeling rich, 1/4 t. saffron, dissolved in 2 T. warm water/cream. 

Also, blanching the broccoli for a few minutes, draining and shocking will improve consistency.  Blanch, drain & shock = dropping broc. into fairly highly salted boiling water for A FEW minutes (until al dente or, in this case, a bit less...probably 5-6 minutes, depending on size of florets), draining the cooking liquid, and then dropping the broc. into an ice-water bath to immediately stop the cooking process and retain amazing green color...trust me, it is an ancient restaurant cooking technique.  Try it once and you'll be enlightened...especially with green vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, etc.  Perfect every time, assuming you don't get distracted and leave the veggies in the boiling water for too long!  Been there, done that!

iceman

Quote from: ceeuawlsune on December 04, 2006, 08:07:21 PM
Perfect every time, assuming you don't get distracted and leave the veggies in the boiling water for too long!  Been there, done that!
:D :D ;D ;) Naw. Noboby would do something like that around this forum. ::) :o :D I feel better already that someone else has been there too.

asa

Quote from: owrstrich on October 19, 2006, 08:30:58 AM
that sounds really good... my wench makes a good broccoli salad with that hidden valley ranch mix and sowered cream...
speaking of sow... check this recipe for bacon salad...
1 med. red onion, diced
10 lbs. of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Dressing:
1 C of Mayonnaise
1/3 C of sugar
1 tsp. vinegar

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

Come again  ---  How much bacon? Is that a typo or did you really mean 10#/bunch of broccoli?
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

iceman

With owrstrich it very well could be 10 lbs. of bacon!!! ;D

asa

Quote from: iceman on December 06, 2006, 09:18:45 PMWith owrstrich it very well could be 10 lbs. of bacon!!! ;D
OK, lessee now, we'll file that under "Bacon salad with broccoli garnish."  ;D ::)
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Cajun

Everything looks but I need to substatute something for the ticks  :D
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy

cingnut

Way to wreck a perfectly good salad with "KRYPTONITE"!!!  Broccoli haters UNITE!!!  LOL