Did my deer today

Started by dewy, April 15, 2007, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewy

Finely got to try out my smoker today.Did a deer loin and a big deer roast, turned out excellent.Made a rub out of salt, pepper, garlic salt, seasoning salt, and some cavenders all purpose greek seasoning.Put it on, wrapped it in cling wrap, let it sit from about 8:00 yesterday morning till 7:00 last night.Took it out, applied more rub, and injected it with pineapple juice we had left over from supper.Rewrapped it and left it till this morning.

Started seasoning the smoker about 9:00 this morning and while that was going on I laid bacon out over the meat and warmed up a big pot of baked beans.At 11:30 I put everything in, set up the Maverick remote thermometer and filled the tube with about 3  1/2 hrs worth of apple bisquettes.Cooked the meat at around 190-200 degrees untill I hit an internal temp of around 155 {about 4 1/2-5 hrs}, took it out, wrapped it in foil and towel and let it set while I grilled my sausage and made some breadsticks..

Finally cut into it and the juice just ran out of it, so tender you could almost cut it with a fork.I gotta say, its the best deer Ive made in 20 years of cooking deer.Smoker worked great,Im so glad I bought it, between that and the Maverick I didnt have to do anything but avoid the temptation to peek in the door ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: dewy on April 15, 2007, 06:33:19 PM
Im so glad I bought it, between that and the Maverick I didnt have to do anything but avoid the temptation to peek in the door ;D

I hope you had to involve the adult beverage refrigerator........   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

coyote

The recreational side of smoking should never be overlook :o The adult beverage refrigerator
is a very , very important equipment gotta have ;) ;D 8)
                                                                                 Coyote

p.s. Love that high speed beef....Good harvest Dewy 8)

West Coast Kansan

:) Well done and thanks for posting the results.  ;)  Did a weather check earlier at the Smith's Bay web cam... looked like a great day for smoking   8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

hillbillysmoker

Congrats on a successful adventure.  I, too, am an avid hunter and will have to try the vension smoke.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes