Running up Post count... Vote Closes March 19 2010

Started by icerat4, May 02, 2007, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Why not simply delete the garbage portion and keep the rest? You have done so on other threads that only had portions that were offensive. There are some good posts on this thread. If it is keep all or delete all then I will vote delete all because this subject keeps popping up when the new folks get around to reading it. I would hate to think that some of the new folks will be afraid of posting too much.

Also I would recommend doing away with post counts altogether and simply reflect "Forum Member Since ____ ".
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 05, 2010, 01:57:06 PM
WildCat

I remember talking with you when this was going on and also thought it might be me they were referring to but I never got any PM's regarding it. You're a valued member of a "Great" group of people here on the forum and I for one am happy you stuck around.

My thoughts (for what they're worth) are... delete the post, let bygones be bygones, and move on to bigger and better things... like smokin' a big ol' butt!  ;)

Mike

Thanks Mike.  It seems you and I have always seen "eye to eye" on just about everything on this forum. You, and several others on here, are indeed true friends. For the most part, practically everyone on here is like extended family.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TMB

Quote from: Wildcat on March 05, 2010, 02:02:07 PM
Why not simply delete the garbage portion and keep the rest? You have done so on other threads that only had portions that were offensive. There are some good posts on this thread. If it is keep all or delete all then I will vote delete all because this subject keeps popping up when the new folks get around to reading it. I would hate to think that some of the new folks will be afraid of posting too much.

Also I would recommend doing away with post counts altogether and simply reflect "Forum Member Since ____ ".
Just my 2 cents worth but I totally agree with Wildcat. As a member of a few cooking forums I find more then a few that run up their count just to look good.  If one knows the subject it will show when they post, so why is the counter needed other than to look good?

Tenpoint5  and I have had this discussion on another forum.

Again just my opinion.
Peace,  count me a "newbie" since I have only been around here a very short time.  :)   
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Quarlow

I am all for delete the thread and abolish the post count.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tiny Tim

I would like to go on record for keeping the count, don't care if this thread goes away or not.  I don't use the number as an indication of knowledge, but rather if they participate in a lot of discussions or not, just in case it's not somebody I'm familiar with and not sure if they're joking around or actually having a problem with me or another poster.

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

JF7FSU

Never saw this topic before today, I am amazed that it has lived this long. As a newer member, I never gave a rat's a$$ about my post count and I never will.  Those who do are wasting valuable smoking time playing on the WWW!
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Bradley (Head Office)

Voting on this closes on March 19

3rensho

Let's keep it.  There area LOT of great pix in this thread and it'd be a real shame to lose them.  I would hope we have all moved a lot further on from when the thread was started - it's had absolutely NOTHING to do with the title for a long old time.  If there are still some whingers that want to rant - start your own thread.  It's a shame that this whole discussion started again just because someone who has no idea of what the thread has become decided to rant.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

QuoteWhy not simply delete the garbage portion and keep the rest?

I would agree with this comment as there are some great pics and amusing comments here, though the voting options of yes / no do not cover it.

Post count is irrelevant and like the member status nothing more than a bit of fun.  ;)

However, I do think it is important to be able to identify the "newbies" easily to make sure they get welcomed into the "family", current members always go out of their way to make them feel at home which is nice and we need to make sure that is not lost.  :)
Manxman

Quarlow

I wonder if there is away to record the post count but not publish it. If it just simlpy said "newbie or member extrodinaire" beside our names and when we joined it would aleviate this problem, then change the name of this thread so uptight newbies don't have anything to get rankelled about.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

What would be nice is if IceRat would pop on for a minute or two and go down to the bottom of the thread and click on "Lock this thread" then the thread would stay alive only as a reminder of things that really don't matter. Also the good things about this thread wouldn't be lost.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bradley (Head Office)

Hello Members
I have gone back a read some of the posts in here there are some that are worth keeping and there is a lot that should be deleted, as well as the name of this topic.
There have been a couple of questions asked about other options we have.

I will do my best to try and answer them.

Q ="Why not simply delete the garbage portion and keep the rest? You have done so on other threads that only had portions that were offensive."
A =  Who would decide which post is garbage , I could see that causing to many problems, everybody has a different opinion on what a bad post is.

Q = I wonder if there is away to record the post count but not publish it. If it just simply said "newbie or member extraordinaire.
A =  Not that I can do with the options in the admin area if it can be done it would have to be in the code of the SMF.

We do have some other options.

I can move this entire topic which allows me to Rename it as well, then it can be left open, ( all the posts would remain as they are)
I can just leave it as is and just lock it (no more posting in it)
Or we have the original options of Delete it or keep it.
I think in fairness to all the members I will revise the original poll
with the new options and we will have a revote

Brian

Jim O

As  "newbie",I thought that the forum was to create camaraderie and get/give help.

I post when I need to get or offer help!

Am I totally wrong ?

Jim O

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Ka Honu

Quote from: Jim O on March 13, 2010, 02:19:17 PMAm I totally wrong ?

No, you're absolutely correct; camaraderie and information/assistance are what it's all about on the forum.  If you start topics or post replies in that spirit you'll have a great time and learn a lot.  The issue here is a thread that started almost three years ago talking about people who posted without any reason other than to run up their post count and get more stars next to their name (Bad dog!  Bad, bad, bad!).

In any event, welcome to the board - enjoy.