oversmoked!!!

Started by fitzi, May 09, 2007, 11:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzi

Hey guys/gals!   

i'm new to smokin with the Bradley smoker.  First few tries ( chicken wings and ribs )yielded oversmoked results.  My vent was slightly opened.  Do you have any suggestions on how open the vent should be to give good balance of flavor.

fitzi

Smudge

Might as well try it wide open, especially with the wings. Forty minutes of smoke would do me fine. I'd finish on the grill.

icerat4

Yes sir half way open is always fine.o and welcome here plenty of good folks here with great info.Dont be a stranger ;).

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Tiny Tim

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you applied smoke the entire time the food was in the smoker.  The vent only needs to be open enough to keep the smoke from backing up into the generator, but after the smoke time (if doing high moisture items like chicken with skin) opened all the way.  You don't need to use smoke the entire time because it is so concentrated and clean.  I'm not a fan of really smoky food, so the max I usually go is 2 hours, and just use the cabinet as an oven to finish cooking it to my desired IT.

If what I've said doesn't sound right, somebody will be along shortly to correct us.

Welcome to the forum and to smoking the Bradley way.

Consiglieri

Welcome Fitzi:

Poultry sucks up smoke very easily and so typically I will not apply smoke during the entire cooking period (usually 1 to 1.5 hours of the total smoke time.  You might also consider using a milder bisquette (like fruit and nut type wood rather than hickory or mesquite).  

Here's a link to a wing recipe from the tried and true recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117

Click on the smoker below if you want to check out other recipes.  Good luck
Consiglieri

Wildcat

The others have pretty much answered your questions, so I will just say welcome to the forum and congradulations on your purchase of one fine product.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

I use the vent half open and 4 pucks for chicken.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Guess i dont need to say much of nuthin else cept welcome and enjoy............................... fitzi  ;D

nepas

coyote

Welcome to our gang Fitzi.....Jump in when ya can and hold on tight ! :)

Coyote

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Malc

poultry skin can be a little rough too, as others said it sucks up the smoke.  You may find it is a little better if you remove the skin.  Welcome.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.