Finally bought a Bradley, want to set up for cold smoke

Started by Stickbowcrafter, May 15, 2007, 05:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Might be better off removing the divider to help dissipate the heat. Looks like the rain stopped. We'll give it a test and see what the heat does. -Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Now that I'm looking at the pictures, may be better off moving the generator to the other side of the box, like an offset. We'll see what the test run does first. -Brian

Arcs_n_Sparks

STC,

Very nice. I would actually use the other half to store my booze....   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Stickbowcrafter

Smoked Spirits  ;D

Pretty impessive after the first hour. Plywood is cool to the touch all around. Smoke is pouring out of the top vent. Seems to be holding 75 F/25 C with an outside temp of 55 F/13 C. Will have to do more tests in higher temps during the day. But at least I know it will work with night temps here in Pennsylvania, usually when I have the time to do this.

This was a very easy build with only a half sheet of plywood, wood glue and some small nails. If it keeps working this well, may have to add a black "Bradley" finish to the outside to match  ;D

I have some fresh feral pig parts in the fridge ready for the grinder. Hopefully will get to it this weekend. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the help and input.

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Another hour and still holding the same temps. Plywood is still cool to the touch. This setup works nicely. I'll report back after the first food smoking session.

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

Wow! That is almost as big as the cabinet I'm building for my BS. :)

Nice work. It serves two funtions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Manxman

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Stickbowcrafte

It's interesting that with the short run of metal pipe it is still able to disapate that much heat and maintain 75 degrees. I've been trying to decide what I'm going to build for my setup. I have mine in my heated garage with a range hood over it and I wanted to build a metal box for the generator and pipe the smoke to the box on a permanent basis. I felt the metal would disapate the heat a little more but your testing with plywood is very interesting. In the garage I don't have the wind to contend with so I have no problem maintaining temps with just the main heating element. I still like the idea of metal from a safety standpoint but it's very interesting that the wood box is not hot/warm. Keep us up to date on your setup.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stickbowcrafter

Forgot to post some pics of the first run with my new Bradley. I like it a lot, very easy to maintain consistent, low temps. Here's some feral pork sausage with pepperoni type seasonings. Each fibrous casing is 1 1/2 inch X 12 inches. Cold smoked for 8 hours then slowly increased temp to 165 degrees to kill any of the bad stuff. Turned out real tasty. Not sure what is on the menu next but I'm looking forward to it.

-Brian

coyote

Now that's smokin' on the wild side...........Oooooo Yea ! 8)

Nice work ! ,

Coyote

Gizmo

Sticks, those look awesome.  Currious, did you find that 8 hours of smoke was too much smoke flavor?  The most folks usually go is 4 hours so I had to ask that and I have yet to do sausage.   :-\
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

coyote

Four is the most I've ever gone Gizmo , but I've done only venison summer sausage so far. That gave
plenty of smoke (hickory) flavor for me...............Coyote

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/